Impossible export (all blank)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Gulgul

Impossible export (all blank)

Post by Gulgul »

Hello,

I'm actually in a professional retraining to become woodworker. During this Covid-19 period where we are closed in house here in France, my woodwork teacher ask us to work on "Sketchup", wich I can't use (and don't want to) because my computer is now on Linux.

So yersterday, I stardted to work on Freecad during hours with a MOOC (https://www.fun-mooc.fr/courses/course- ... on01/about), and I was really glad to discover and learn the bases on this very interesting app. But finally, when i tried to export my projetcs on pdf (also in stl), It wasn't working at all; i just had white pages...

I had a look on the french forum, but did'nt fine any real answer to solve my problem, althought it seems that this is maybe an already knowned problem with Freecad. I also had a look in this engligh forum, but i did'nt find more answers (or in this langage, i didn't find the good keywords...), so sorry if the problem is already discussed somewhere...

I would really like to export my work (already to send it to my teacher ;) ) because I don't wan't do leave this app for another. I really enjoy it (event if it's quite hard to start!)

I read somewhere there was a possible problem with "Python". And for information, when I was using Freecad I had sometimes a xubuntu problem alert about "Python", but without more explaination, and didn't change the practicle use of the app. I also read that there was an issue with Intel but did'nt fid anything concrete to apply to my situation.

I'm using Freecad 0.18.4 on Xubuntu 18.04.4.
Because i serously followed the mooc step by step, i don't think that the issue is coming from my way to built the objects on Freecad.
Or did I missed some addons or whatever?

Thank you very much if someone can give me a little help to solve this problem!
(I'm precising that I'm not very good on Linux, and that I still need slow step by step for command lines)

After a research, I found spécification of my computer if it can help to a diagnosis:

System: Host:Aspire-one-1-131 Kernel: 5.3.0-42-generic x86_64
bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Machine: Device: laptop System: Acer product: Aspire one 1-131 v: V1.06 serial: N/A
Mobo: Acer model: Caltech v: V1.06 serial: N/A
UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: V1.06 date: 07/30/2015
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron N3050 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
clock speeds: max: 2160 MHz 1: 872 MHz 2: 501 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.5 )
drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell)
version: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8
Audio: Card Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.3.0-42-generic
Network: Card: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath9k
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 30:52:cb:37:10:61
Drives: HDD Total Size: NA (-)
ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 31.3GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 8.1G (30%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p1
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 180 Uptime: 2:01 Memory: 1071.2/1905.7MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Impossible export (all blank)

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As for the PDF export you should upgrade to a current 0.19 version, (freecad-daily on Linux). As for the stl-Export: it is probably a completely different issue. Retry with 0.19 and if it still fails attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above and describe in much detail what you have done.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Re: Impossible export (all blank)

Post by Bance »

Did you convert your models to drawings first? PDF is a document format.
Try to use TechDraw workbench to convert models to 2d drawings then export.
Or export in step/stl/another 3d format.

HTH Steve.

Chrisb already answered.