house plans

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jloyzaga

house plans

Post by jloyzaga »

I want to use FreeCAD to work on my house. I would like advice on using it to import the house plans. I only have layouts i n jpg

Can you advise?
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: house plans

Post by PrzemoF »

Welcome to the forum!

1. create new model
2. go to Image workbench->Create planar image in 3D space
3. select plane you want
jloyzaga

Post by jloyzaga »

can i import a jpg to use as the layoyt?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

jloyzaga wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:01 am can i import a jpg to use as the layoyt?
That is what you were advised.... I would suggest to add a Z offset of -0.1 so the resulting image plane is under the base XY plane.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

jloyzaga wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:01 am can i import a jpg to use as the layoyt?
One thing you can do to accelerate your work, is:

1 - Import your jpg into Inkscape
2 - Trace your jpg on Inkscape
3 - Export to svg on Inkscape
4 - Import the svg on FreeCad

From that you'll get some lines, and hopefully save you from some work ;)
jloyzaga

Post by jloyzaga »

thx
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jloyzaga wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:06 am I want to use FreeCAD to work on my house. I would like advice on using it to import the house plans. I only have layouts i n jpg
I am trying to trace over images to build the Carpenter Center as shown in thread below -
[ Architecture Masterpiece ] Carpenter Center Of Visual Arts

But to do a true size model, you need some actual dimensions or measurement so to scale images to do so.

I have none for the Carpenter Center so everything is guestimate by eyeballing :D

Good luck
jloyzaga

Post by jloyzaga »

Thank you

I am acomplete newbie at cad or drawi g etc. Ex programmer in machine code - the only plan I did is an idea plan - dont know how to run the tool. was hoping it could just suck in this jpg.But then what happens - do I need to clean up all the info to get an outline?
Attachments
house-plan-photo-2-smaller-1.JPG
house-plan-photo-2-smaller-1.JPG (166.9 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

How did you obtain that image? Do yo have access to scan it? If you are going to use it as a background to trace over it should be straightened. The only tool that comes in mind now is nip2 which is not easy to use. Siince there are only straight lines you can just use sketcher to draw the plan without a reference - just look at the picture and dimension/constraint accordingly.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can use gimp to straighten the image and with the rectangle selection tool you can clear the unneeded stuff.
Then use Inkscape to create an dSVG from the image. That SVG can be imported into FreeCAD. For continuing I know the Sketch workflow, where you create a sketch from the wires you get from inkscape others may recommend a different workflow.

On the other hand, the plan doesn't look too complicated. Consider to create it just from scratch with a straightened image as background.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.