Links go out of the allowed scope

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
garya

Links go out of the allowed scope

Post by garya »

I have multiple bodies in the same part, and one sketch has a constraint to a line in a sketch in a different part. This seems to be causing a "Links go out of the allowed scope" warning. The link was created in Sketcher WB using the "Create an edge linked to an external geometry" tool; this is the shape binder, correct? My search came up with references to a "PropertyLinkGlobal" flag. Will turning this on get rid of the warning? Is this the correct way to solve this problem? How do I do that in the sketcher?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Links go out of the allowed scope

Post by chrisb »

This is what I do:
- Activate the body where you want to have the reference in
- select what you want to reference. It can be another solid, face , edge or vertex. I recommend to reference only sketches to minimize toponaming issues
- create a ShapeBinder with the ShapeBinder icon.
- hide the referenced sketch(/solid/edge,...
- use the ShapeBinder for references.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

garya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:00 pm ... My search came up with references to a "PropertyLinkGlobal" flag. ...
You got it all wrong. If you find references to that, provide links to those threads so that people can advice you about what those threads are talking about, and how it is not related to your problem.

Simply put, you cannot cross a Body barrier when referencing other geometrical shapes. So, just follow chrisb's advice and use a PartDesign ShapeBinder or PartDesign SubShapeBinder.

App::PropertyLinkGlobal is a property of an object. Unless you intend to program in C++ or Python, you have no business with it. It is not a "flag" that you can turn on or anything similar.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
garya

Post by garya »

Thanks. It was unclear to me what the difference was between the ExternalGeometry tool in Sketcher and the ShapeBinder in PartDesign.

If I have it right:
ExternalGeometry makes items in the same body available for use in Sketcher
ShapeBinder inserts an item in another body, which may then be made available in Sketcher using ExternalGeometry.
In the attached file:
1. The lower left corner of Sketch002 is coincident with the lower right corner of Sketch001, in the same body. This is achieved using the Sketcher "Create an edge linked to external geometry" tool.
2. The upper right corner of Sketch002 is coincident with the lower left corner of Sketch, which is in a different body. This is achieved by creating a ShapeBinder in Body001 from the lower left corner of Sketch in Body; then making the ShapeBinder available in Sketch002 using the "Create an edge linked to external geometry" tool.
Moving or resizing either Sketch in Body or Sketch001 in Body001 will cause Sketch002 to track.
ShapeBinder_1.FCStd
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Yes, you got it right.

There is an additional case you haven't mentioned. If you move the whole body, then you may have to set the property TraceSupport=true in the ShapeBinder. Otherwise the ShapeBinder will move together with the body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.