0.19 issue with spacebar action on the tree

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman

0.19 issue with spacebar action on the tree

Postby freedman » Sat May 16, 2020 2:22 am

See the pic. When I mouse select a face the tree automatically highlights the last feature, that's fine but when I now hit the space bar it toggles the tree highlighted feature (not the body tree icon) to change visibility. I think that's incorrect, it should change the status (in the tree) of the body icon not the highlight of the last feature, well maybe both should deselect.
This is really messing me up when I disappear a body by mouse selection, the body icon stays turned on but the feature icon is turned off, this means that if the tree isn't expanded there is no indication of the body status.
Attachments
Select_highlight.JPG
Select_highlight.JPG (72.66 KiB) Viewed 213 times
select1.FCStd
(27.48 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Roy_043

Re: 0.19 issue with spacebar action on the tree

Postby Roy_043 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:28 am

I do not know if there is a preference that can change this behavior. But if you click the shape 3 times in the 3D view the body object is selected. I find it a bit confusing that after the 2nd click the whole shape is already highlighted.
fc_tofu

Postby fc_tofu » Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 am

Roy_043 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:28 am
I do not know if there is a preference that can change this behavior. But if you click the shape 3 times in the 3D view the body object is selected. I find it a bit confusing that after the 2nd click the whole shape is already highlighted.
Perhaps, the designed intention of mouse select in PartDesign body is,
1st click = select subelement
2nd click = select tip
3rd click = select body

Though it sounds meaningless. Only one tip (feature history step) can be set visible at same time.
freedman

Postby freedman » Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 am

I see what you mean, 3 clicks and then I get what I want.

I think what we have currently could be fixed by adding 2 rules:

1) if the last feature is modified by spacebar then the associated Body icon will follow suite, this applies to hide and show.
2) if in the tree the Body icon is modified by spacebar then the last feature can follow suite.

There is one other condition, when a feature is selected other than the last, it seems like that would be just follow the Body icon setting.

I see that "sync selection" was added so the tree always shows the features, this helps until you click on some other object and the tree moves to the new selection somewhere else.
Roy_043

Postby Roy_043 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:37 am

freedman wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 am
1) if the last feature is modified by spacebar then the associated Body icon will follow suite, this applies to hide and show.
That does not always make sense. F.e. after hiding the last feature (or rather the body's Tip feature) you may want to unhide a sketch in the body. In that case the body should stay visible.

Maybe there can be a better way to select the body object in the 3D view?

fc_tofu wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 am
3rd click = select body
Thanks. Yes, that is indeed the case. You can clearly see it if one of the sketches is visible.
freedman

Postby freedman » Sat May 16, 2020 5:22 pm

freedman wrote: ↑
1) if the last feature is modified by space bar then the associated Body icon will follow suite, this applies to hide and show.
Roy_043 wrote: ↑
That does not always make sense. F.e. after hiding the last feature (or rather the body's Tip feature) you may want to unhide a sketch in the body. In that case the body should stay visible.
I can see that. Yes...

We need something to make this usable for larger models (with Sync selection enabled), after 10 minutes of work I have 3 feet ( 1 meter) of tree because every time I click on a face the tree is expanded, after a while I can't find anything in my model. And add to that if I disable Sync selection then I can't figure out which object is hidden without double clicking every body.

I guess this isn't help anymore. Not sure.
Last edited by freedman on Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vocx

Postby vocx » Sat May 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Roy_043 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:28 am
... But if you click the shape 3 times in the 3D view the body object is selected...
I'm not sure, but I think this behavior was added by realthunder during the LinkMerge.

I think this was added to support the workflow of assemblies, where the more you click, you move higher in the hierarchy of elements. First, a subelement like an edge or face, then the body, then the container body, then the Std_Part, then the container Std_Part, etc.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.