[Solved] *Part* mirror - *PartDesign* feature - *PartDesign* modify both PD bodies

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bance
Veteran

Re: *Part* mirror - *PartDesign* feature - *PartDesign* modify both PD bodies

Post by Bance »

You have created the square pocket before the base feature, so it becomes part of the base feature.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I thought I've tested that too but I assume you're right. I'll try it again tomorrow and report back.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

M4x wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:01 pm My dependency graph looks pretty much like yours.
Based on your original file DepGraph should look like this:
PartDesign_Part-mirror_v1_kiss_depgraph.JPG
PartDesign_Part-mirror_v1_kiss_depgraph.JPG (73.08 KiB) Viewed 556 times
PartDesign_Part-mirror_v1_kiss.JPG
PartDesign_Part-mirror_v1_kiss.JPG (40.99 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Attachments
PartDesign_Part-mirror_v1_kiss.FCStd
(52.87 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

kisolre wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 pm As you saw it works. But it is not supposed to be used that way so it is not supported and could potentially be removed in any moment in the future.
I don't mean to argue, but what is the basis for this?

Steve.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Bance wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:31 pm what is the basis for this?
The red arrow? The warning "Links go out of allowed scope"? Multiple mensions "you should not do that" in the forum? It is not forbidden by the program but is strongly discouraged. I dont think that it should not work. I really like that it does. But especially for beginners it could lead to all kinds of problems and misunderstandings. Like in the latest thread here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46564...
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Sorry, I meant why are three bodies required? I explained myself how to keep the model in scope, and have managed it with only two bodies. So why is the third required?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Bance wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm Sorry, I meant why are three bodies required?
Because you did not mention it and I did not notice with the short glance on your file - the modification of the Body002 TIP :) PartDesign_MoveTip
And later @M4x will ask why the modifications are not there in the exported STL since the BODY was selected as advised by many and the docs :)
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Bance wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:13 pm You have created the square pocket before the base feature, so it becomes part of the base feature.
Sorry my mistake, although I don't remember doing it, I have set the tip in body_1 to pocket.

The tip is the part of the body exposed to the outside, so mirror see's only the tip not the square pocket.

That's why it works in my file and not yours. I would say this is one of those times where it works but is not recommended.

As Kisolre rightly points out it will lead to confusion later if you need to export or use other work benches to modify the model.

Rather you should create the model in steps as each body will then be more robust. See Kislore's post above.

Steve.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I was able to reproduce both solutions / workflows. To avoid possible misunderstandings / problems along the way, I'll follow kisolres "three-bodies-approach".

Thank you very much!