Merge sketches and other questions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Merge sketches and other questions

Post by GeneFC »

Troymx576 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:28 pm
TheMarkster wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:56 pm The sketch has an error, hence the unsolved message. Always try to pay attention to the solver messages so when there's an issue you can resolve it before continuing. In the constraints list delete the last constraint (a vertical constraint).
Thank you. I see the error message now, but I do not know how to know what it is for. Is there a way to click or know how what is causing it?
Here is an example of a constraint conflict. The two nearly parallel dimensions are not physically possible, but for some reason the solver does not flag it. Even though the problem is not flagged it prevents a solution. If I delete one dimension the error goes away.

There are multiple examples of similar conflicts in your sketch. It does not seem there is an easy way to find the problems in this case; you just need to look carefully.

Conflict.png
Conflict.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 710 times

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If an error is shown, you can click on the blue part of the message to see which constraints are involved, but often that shows much more than desired. I would second TheMarkster's recommendation: Always have a look at the solver message, check it after each constraint added. Be happy when the number of degrees of freedom goes down, and react immediately if an error is shown.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:54 am Here is an example of a constraint conflict.
That is serious. I will try to create a minimal example and then we should invoke Abdullah.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:54 am Even though the problem is not flagged it prevents a solution.
I guess I misunderstood your post. I interpreted it as if the sketcher does not recognize this situation, which I rated as being serious.

In fact the solver reports this sketch as being "unsolved", which is correct with the contradicting constraints. Sometimes it is misleading that the solver keeps the number of degrees of freedom as it was before.
I have the reduced file, just in case somebody is interested.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I usually see this when there are conflicting constraints, in addition to error message at the top of the sketcher task panel.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.25 KiB) Viewed 663 times

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:21 pm I usually see this when there are conflicting constraints, in addition to error message at the top of the sketcher task panel.
This message comes only when you try to add a dimension, which would lead to a conflict. It doesn't occur when adding a geometric constraint with a similar effect.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

My screen capture above was related to dimensions. 8-)

Gene
Troymx576

Post by Troymx576 »

I have another noob question and thanks in advance for helping.

I have an object and I created a sketch on the face. I had some failure to validate face error and fixed that I think.

I went to the face, created a sketch and tried to overlay the original sketch with the create an edged linked to an external geometry, yet it did not seem to line up and did not show up all the points.

I did create a pocket though and wanted to make it centered of the object so it would leave both faces untouched as I will want to do more there later. I need to remove a hole through all of it.

How do I center the pocket?

I will want to add a chamfer on the inside edge also.

I tried to make two pockets and have the line up with the face and then use boolean to combine the faces, but that did not let me chamfer the inner when done so I think I added complexity that should no be needed or missed a step.

I hope all that makes sense. I have been trying different things to figure it out and my brain is a little jumbled after all this.
Thanks
Troy
Attachments
pedal pocket
pedal pocket
pedalpocket01.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 608 times
TR-pedal-TroyA003.FCStd
pedal fcstd
(265.46 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

If I understand what you are trying to do you just need to modify the z attachment offset of Sketch006 to something like z = -3mm.
Snip macro screenshot-359055.png
Snip macro screenshot-359055.png (137.23 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Note: it is not recommended to attach sketches to faces due to some issues it can cause if you decide later to modify some of the earlier sketches. If things go crazy you just need to go back in and reattach the sketches to the correct faces (usually anyway).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's not completely clear to me what you want to achieve. Naming which sketches you are talking about may help as well as adding an image e.g. with some arrows added to show what you are talking about.

In the Sketch006 you have used already external references to circles. This includes the centers. If you want to center another circle with the references one, use a coincidence constraint on the centers.