Make Sketch on Solid Surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
angga

Make Sketch on Solid Surface

Post by angga »

Hi everybody, I'm new to Freecad so bear with me... I searched on the forum but couldn't find a solution, I really hope you can help me. I just learn tutorial video,I trying to make New Sketch on the Surface of solid object I first make. when I make the Sketch of rectangle, a point on the corner rectangle that on the surface of my previous object not visible.
a.jpeg
a.jpeg (20.01 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Thanks for any help you can provide!

My version of freecad:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
M4x
Veteran

Re: Make Sketch on Solid Surface

Post by M4x »

I didn't understand what you're trying to achieve. Could you try to explain it again? Your FreeCAD file would be nice too.
angga

Post by angga »

I just trying to make some random object for practice after watch some tutorial video. first I try make a cube, after that I make new Sketch on one of the surface of the cube. when I try make a rectangle on the surface of the cube, point or dot on each corner of rectangel not show up, but the ractangle outside surface of the cube visible just fine like the photo.

this another example
b.jpeg
b.jpeg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 698 times
c.jpeg
c.jpeg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 698 times

in the example I try make a hole using pocket fuction. i can make a hole but i cannot use constraint fuction to place them where i want. for example i want to put circular on the middle of the surface, but since no point or dot i cannot use contraint to preciesly put circular on the middle surface of the cube. when i try make them outside the surface, they just like regular rectangular or circular.

I already seen some video tutorial FreeCAD 0.18, but they dont have issue like mine. so if anyone who know to fix the problem i really appreciate the help.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I believe you are looking for "linking to external geometry". If so, use the icon in the Sketcher toolbar.

Link to External Geometry.PNG
Link to External Geometry.PNG (7.76 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Gene
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Maybe you're looking from the "wrong" side and the cube is blocking your view. Take a look from the opposite site. If that works, set "Map Reversed" in the Data tab of the sketch to the other value (probably "true"). I'd have a look but you didn't provide an example file... ;)
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

The images are strange. Perhaps this is a graphics card / driver issue. Try the latest pre-release 0.19.