[FEATURE REQUEST] Life-size view ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fcaduser

[FEATURE REQUEST] Life-size view ?

Post by fcaduser »

Hello FC people.

How can I display a life-size view of a part/assembly (normal projection) ? After a length unit is chosen, a screen having an immutable pixel size, it's just a question of doing a ratio to show a life-size representation, but how achieve this ?

Thank.
Last edited by fcaduser on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Life-size view ?

Post by papyblaise »

not sure but I think it's depend of the size of your screen (laptop or screen of the stadium) and the definition of your's HD or older
But you can verify this by afixe the grid with 10mm of space of lines and use your meter directly on
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

Yes, for sure.
For example, considering a typical 0.25 mm square pitch, the user working with millimeter as unit. So obviously a 15 mm long edge requires 60 pixel, but the routine in charge of the final display must be informed of the screen specifications.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Should be easily scripted.
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

I even think it might deserve being set as a feature, and put into the view menu (along side "fit all").
TomB19

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Life-size view ?

Post by TomB19 »

Thanks for being awesome, kisolre.

It would be a nice feature. If no one else takes this on, I might look into a python solution later this year. Perhaps the issue will be making it multi-platform but I know DPI is also available on Windows systems. I expect MAC to closely follow the Linux side. I'm sure we can figure it out.

DPI of the monitor and scale of the object view is all that should be needed to calculate the zoom ratio.

Here's an article on finding, testing, and potentially correcting the DPI register on a Linux system.

https://winaero.com/blog/find-change-screen-dpi-linux/
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

TomB19 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:52 pm Here's an article on finding, testing, and potentially correcting the DPI register on a Linux system.

https://winaero.com/blog/find-change-screen-dpi-linux/
IMO you shouldn't bother yourself too much with the details. Qt already has everything needed, eg. in the QScreen class. ;)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

fcaduser wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:27 pm Hello FC people.

How can I display a life-size view of a part/assembly (normal projection) ? After a length unit is chosen, a screen having an immutable pixel size, it's just a question of doing a ratio to show a life-size representation, but how achieve this ?

Thank.
I'm actually confused by this discussion. :?

Do you actually want to hold a 30 cm ruler up to the screen and measure 30 cm? :?:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TomB19

Post by TomB19 »

Thank you, Mr. Brain!

Is it as simple as this?
from PySide import QtGui

dpi = QtGui.QScreen.logicalDotsPerInch();
TomB19

Post by TomB19 »

drmacro wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 pmDo you actually want to hold a 30 cm ruler up to the screen and measure 30 cm? :?:
I believe that is what is being requested.

In your case, I would guess you would want a 30cm ruler to display longer than 30cm based on your screen name.