external references no connection points

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DarkRider62

external references no connection points

Post by DarkRider62 »

Hello, new user here. old auto-cad guy but it;s been awhile. so my issue.. I have created a base model/part, padded, new sketch and new part geometry. so far all good. I did a revolve around my z. tutorial knob. i am at the point where i want to put the set hole in the side. on the z axes. I have read that external geometry can be used to align the hole to the correct face. not working for me.. I am missing something. when i select a line from my model in base part, in my sketch it turns green but I do not get any constraint points ie.. end points to draw construction lines with. i cannot use the constraints to move the hole as there is no geometric information in the sketch? what is the purpose of this feature if I cannot connect to the feature. i have spent several hours watching videos but everyone keeps skipping what to do to get those points. i tried copy geo from external but it did not show up in my sketch ?? can someone clear up this issue up for me. How do I reference a sketch that i have to use for placement.?
thanks
Bance
Veteran

Re: external references no connection points

Post by Bance »

Hi, welcome

We get a lot of old auto-cad guy's here, some of them even read and follow the posting guidelines ;) :-
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

Have you tried Sketcher_External?

HTH Steve.
DarkRider62

Post by DarkRider62 »

Thanks Steve, I did try the external reference tool. I have a fully restrained model. I created it using polyline in the first sketch. , It selects one of the lines not the one I need. all seem to be on the same plane, I am not getting an error or a usable reference line ? oh well I have the day to figure something out. I will read the posting rules.. I spent a lot of time searching for this subject before posting. nothing of use came up.
Again thanks for your time.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

You are welcome,

Your problem is likely easily solved.

If you would like more help, you must provide more information. This will not only help me to help you but it also contributes to the knowledge base that helps others when the forum is searched.
  • Version info as described in the link provided above
  • Which workbench is being used
  • Your file for examination
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

We really would need to see your file to be able to help you. A screenshot would also be helpful. To attach your file just drag/drop to the form where you would type in your reply or check the attachments tab we have conveniently hidden below the submit button.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Use the sketch validation tool to check your sketch, maybe there is something wrong with it.
DarkRider62

Post by DarkRider62 »

Hi All, I have been more or less following the tutorial on doing a 3d revolve. a knob of sorts. trying to put set screw in the side. having a heck of a time with external references. please enlighten me.
Attachments
vic 3d revolve-2.FCStd
(13.24 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Screen shot 2020-06-02.jpg
Screen shot 2020-06-02.jpg (205.67 KiB) Viewed 456 times
DarkRider62

Post by DarkRider62 »

freedman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:37 pm Use the sketch validation tool to check your sketch, maybe there is something wrong with it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am not familiar with that yet. I will check it out.
I only have about 10 hrs of play time into this. There is a lot I have to get back up to speed on.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I'm not sure where you want the set screw hole. I created a new sketch on the xz plane, put a circle on the vertical axis constrained to be centered at 5mm above the y axis, then pocketed through all in one direction.
Snip macro screenshot-d95ff8.png
Snip macro screenshot-d95ff8.png (148.31 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Snip macro screenshot-dbf0a6.png
Snip macro screenshot-dbf0a6.png (144.41 KiB) Viewed 447 times
I put it at 5mm because there was a point on the other sketch at 5mm. Another option that would be more parametric would be to name the constraint in the other sketch with a name such as set_screw_position, then link to that from the other sketch using expressions, e.g. =Sketch.Constraints.set_screw_position. Even better, put such dimensions into a spreadsheet and link to those cells from within the sketcher, e.g. =Spreadsheet.A4 (though it would be better still to use aliases instead of cell addresses directly).
Attachments
vic 3d revolve-2(markster).FCStd
(40.12 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

DarkRider62 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:29 pm
You mean something like this?
Attachments
vic 3d revolve-2_mac.FCStd
(49.46 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Snip macro screenshot-26e023.png
Snip macro screenshot-26e023.png (41.91 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."