FC Gear module

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FC Gear module

Post by chrisb »

You may be right for a single BaseFeature; alas it is not possible to add multiple BaseFeatures, let alone attach them in the body to some feature.

I think that this is a very important discussion, which should have a more prominent place, so that more people with deep insight can weigh in.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 am You may be right for a single BaseFeature; alas it is not possible to add multiple BaseFeatures, let alone attach them in the body to some feature.
you are right. The body is limited to one base-feature...
chrisb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 am I think that this is a very important discussion, which should have a more prominent place, so that more people with deep insight can weigh in.
I guess we should first try to get someone familiar with part-design design-principles comment on this topic here. With the gears it is easy to see the problem part-design currently has to due limited part-interface. Also not much is needed to get a gear acting as a feature in part-design. As far as I understand, we need an attachment, a parent shape and property which can be selected how the Base-Feature (or better Part-Feature) should act (boolean operation)...

Part-Design currently gives the option to create a boolean operation with another body. But looking at the resulting dependency-tree this doesn't look like a very clean approach:
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-06-29 10-45-57.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-06-29 10-45-57.png (157.9 KiB) Viewed 557 times
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

You may want to retry with the latest version of the Gears WB; recently Lorenz merged a PR of mine which aims to improve the situation.
Gear objects are now attachable, too.

(ironically I found this thread here while searching where to announce the new features ;-))
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This topic is rather old. There is also an Announcement subforum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.