Why does this invert?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MikeDewitt

Why does this invert?

Post by MikeDewitt »

Even the Navigation cube "REAR" is upside down. It makes it difficult to mentally track where I need to put stuff.

Basic Sketch attached.
Open Sketch1 click "set to isometric view" and that's my Front with the big hole at the top.
Now, I want to do some work on the Rear.
I rotate it around and click the Rear and it changes color.
I click "Create a new sketch" and it turns it upside down. See Sketch2.
That is a mental challenge with a complex part to try and get my head wrapped around to now work upside down.

Is this a setting I have wrong? What, Where and how to change it?
invert.FCStd
(15.78 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21775 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Gregory son of Carl

Re: Why does this invert?

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

You can change your sketch view orientation by adjusting the Map Mode settings in the Properties window for any sketch. To flip the Rear sketch around, change the z-axis angle to 180 degrees.
ReverseInverse.png
ReverseInverse.png (43.41 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

It is ill advised to attach sketches to solid geometry, rather use std planes, sketches or properly attached data planes.
See Topological_naming_problem.
There are a number of workflows that can help, see ImageSketcher_ViewSection or ImageStd_DrawStyle
MikeDewitt

Post by MikeDewitt »

Gregory son of Carl wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:32 am You can change your sketch view orientation by adjusting the Map Mode settings in the Properties window for any sketch. To flip the Rear sketch around, change the z-axis angle to 180 degrees.
Thanks, that kinda works, but as soon as I close Sketcher it turns everything back to to front face and a "Pad" then pops the addition out the back. I need to forever rotate the thing to the Rear to see what I just added.

If I am doing it wrong, is there a video showing how it should be done?
MikeDewitt

Post by MikeDewitt »

Bance wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:17 am It is ill advised to attach sketches to solid geometry, rather use std planes, sketches or properly attached data planes.
The Sketcher View Section kinda works but then I still have to rotate thing around to the Rear in order to attach a new item like a Hex etc.

If I use "Create an edge linked to external geometry," to locate the big hole, select "Hex," the cursor never turns to the Cross to attach it. I have to rotate the view to the Rear and then it gives me the cross when over the center.

As I asked Gregory above, if I am doing it wrong then is there a video to show how a part should be modeled. I have been doing the ""ill advised" way with earlier versions for years. Up until a few versions back it was working as I expected. I will go back through old the older .appimage of v19 and see if I can regain that old process as his new one sucks big time. One step forward, 28-back.

I'd really prefer to be doing it the "advised" way but so far it is not making sense to me. Maybe I am overly dense, but the "it should not be this hard," poster seems to be equally at a loss too.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MikeDewitt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm
Bance wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:17 am It is ill advised to attach sketches to solid geometry, rather use std planes, sketches or properly attached data planes.
The Sketcher View Section kinda works but then I still have to rotate thing around to the Rear in order to attach a new item like a Hex etc.

If I use "Create an edge linked to external geometry," to locate the big hole, select "Hex," the cursor never turns to the Cross to attach it. I have to rotate the view to the Rear and then it gives me the cross when over the center.

As I asked Gregory above, if I am doing it wrong then is there a video to show how a part should be modeled. I have been doing the ""ill advised" way with earlier versions for years. Up until a few versions back it was working as I expected. I will go back through old the older .appimage of v19 and see if I can regain that old process as his new one sucks big time. One step forward, 28-back.

I'd really prefer to be doing it the "advised" way but so far it is not making sense to me. Maybe I am overly dense, but the "it should not be this hard," poster seems to be equally at a loss too.
One thing I'd ask: why do you have your Body in a Part? This is not required.

Also, with that gone and the axis planes turned on it looks ok. The Pad was done on along the Y axis as expected...
Attachments
orientation.png
orientation.png (150.58 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
Last edited by drmacro on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

MikeDewitt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm Up until a few versions back it was working as I expected.
V0.17, V0.18 and V0.19 all show the behavior described your OP.
MikeDewitt

Post by MikeDewitt »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:47 pm V0.17, V0.18 and V0.19 all show the behavior described your OP.
Yup, you are correct, must have just coped with it, or maybe rarely used the Rear to create stuff. Still a bit weird turning everything upside down.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

MikeDewitt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:08 pm a bit weird
@kisolre tries to explain things here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 75#p410991.
Gregory son of Carl

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

MikeDewitt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:05 pm Thanks, that kinda works, but as soon as I close Sketcher it turns everything back to to front face and a "Pad" then pops the addition out the back. I need to forever rotate the thing to the Rear to see what I just added.
After exiting a sketch, the model view should automatically return to the last view you were in before entering the sketch. If you rotate the model before entering the sketch then you should be able to avoid that hassle. You can also turn off this behavior by going to Edit> Preferences> Sketcher (WB)> Display (Tab)> Restore Camera Position after Editing.

Doing things the "right way" is mostly about improving long term model stability. If the part is a one-off that you'll never return to then don't worry too much about best practices. Just do whatever is the quickest and most intuitive.