Trying to add a chamfer to a model

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Trying to add a chamfer to a model

Post by Joel_graff »

So before I start over from scratch on this model (I know I've messed it up a good bit), I thought I'd see i anyone can tell me what I've done wrong.

I'm trying to add a chamfer to a face along the bottom of the model (one of the large faces at the bottom of the keystem). It was successful, but I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate the portion of the pad that was chamfered. Also, I get the error:

Code: Select all

Part::Chamfer / Chamfer: Links go out of the allowed scope
which sometimres prevents the chamfer from happening.

I know it's just bad model organization that's getting me, but I'd appreciate a tip or two. :)

aiie_smk_keystem_2.FCStd
(74.87 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21514 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 89ddab33f692a9bd739171689f9ab0eb58d64b35
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
Gregory son of Carl

Re: Trying to add a chamfer to a model

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

I think what happened here is that you accidentally selected edges from the PartDesign body for chamfering instead of from the Cut feature on top which looks to be the cause of that error message. To clean things up a bit, you can change the "Base" object Parameter for the chamfer to the Cut object.

To deselect the chamfer edges in its current state, you need to make the PartDesign body visible before activating the chamfer Task window.
Attachments
aiie_smk_keystem_2.14159.png
aiie_smk_keystem_2.14159.png (24.96 KiB) Viewed 529 times
aiie_smk_keystem_2.14159.FCStd
(83.77 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

This is clear from the Dependency Graph.
You have a Part/Chamfer applied on the PartDesign/Pocket.
You should either :
  • Apply a PartDesign/Chamfer on the Pocket (in this case the chamfer is part of the Body)
  • Set the Display Mode of the Body to 'Tip' then you can apply the Part/Chamfer (in this case you'll have to update the Cut so it uses the newly created object)
  • Apply the Chamfer on the existing Cut object
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Better to remain in PD, use subtractive cone and chamfer.
Attachments
aiie_smk_keystem_2.FCStd
(90.73 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Erase all inusful sketch , use Hole instate of pocket : the cone became automaticly , and chanfer
Attachments
aile.PNG
aile.PNG (27.88 KiB) Viewed 482 times
aile.FCStd
(58.57 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Ok, so I got a lot more response than I expected.. and a lot faster. :) Replying to the comments (out of respect for the time you guys took to make them):
papyblaise wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:31 am Erase all inusful sketch , use Hole instate of pocket : the cone became automaticly , and chanfer
I used pocket and included the cone because this is a 3D print - those are critical elements to the design, I'm afraid.
Bance wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:52 am Better to remain in PD, use subtractive cone and chamfer.
I may revisit that - Getting the cone subtraction to work properly was really tricky. Clearly, I was mixing Part and PartDesign elements, which lies at the source of my problem.
openBrain wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:57 am This is clear from the Dependency Graph.
You have a Part/Chamfer applied on the PartDesign/Pocket.
I initally went loking for the chamfer in PD, but didn't see it, so I tried the Part chamfer. Took another look and found it. Otherwise, applying the chamfer to the cut object is obviously the quickest fix. I suspect it would be better for me to do it entirely in PartDesign.
Gregory son of Carl wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:48 am I think what happened here is that you accidentally selected edges from the PartDesign body for chamfering instead of from the Cut feature on top which looks to be the cause of that error message. To clean things up a bit, you can change the "Base" object Parameter for the chamfer to the Cut object.

To deselect the chamfer edges in its current state, you need to make the PartDesign body visible before activating the chamfer Task window.
I took a look at this. Your solution works, but I discovered I can't pick "Cut" as base when creating that chamfer initially. I have to choose Pocket, then go back and change it to base after applying the chamfer. That said, once I did that and hid the Cut object, the model appears as it should. Clearly, mixing Part / PD elements is the source of my issue.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers