image import

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
minimadmalc

image import

Post by minimadmalc »

hi all I am new to FreeCAD and I have a picture (jpeg) of the letter S I need to import it into FreeCAD and copy it so I can print a 3d design of this. My problem is I have tried everything but the image does not show in the program so I can't trace it to a 3d image. Please can someone talk me through this. it can't be hard can it? Thanks
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: image import

Post by PrzemoF »

Welcome to the forum!

Did you try to search for the solution? Did you read the red banner at the top of this page?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Use the Image_CreateImagePlane command.
minimadmalc

Post by minimadmalc »

Image import? When I load a image jpeg using create planer image tool it looks like its downloaded the image but I cant see it why? I am new to CAD drawing and would love to learn. My first task is to take a image (jpeg) load it into Freecad then trace it and make a 3d model on my 3d printer. Sounds easy enough but having trouble just downloading the picture and seeing it to trace! I have looked every were for a tutorial on this but the only one I can find is on youtube with a older version of FreeCAD, Please can somone help! Thanks
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Note that for the outline of TTF letters you should first look at the Draft_ShapeString command.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

minimadmalc wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:36 am Image import? When I load a image jpeg using create planer image tool it looks like its downloaded the image but I cant see it why? I am new to CAD drawing and would love to learn. My first task is to take a image (jpeg) load it into Freecad then trace it and make a 3d model on my 3d printer. Sounds easy enough but having trouble just downloading the picture and seeing it to trace! I have looked every were for a tutorial on this but the only one I can find is on youtube with a older version of FreeCAD, Please can somone help! Thanks
Please read the link in the banner, read again, then attach here your JPEG picture as well as your FreeCAD file where you tried to import it.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

It could be a driver issue if you're on Windows using 0.18.4. This is why it's important to provide the FreeCAD information: help -> about -> copy to clipboard. If this is the case you can update to the latest 0.19 and see if that solves it.