TechDraw: print document without scaling

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

TechDraw: print document without scaling

Post by drmacro »

My TechDraw Page is A3.

When I print it automagically scales it to fit on a A4 paper (the only size my printer has).

But, I want to print at 1:1 because I want the drawing to show real size (which will fit on an A4 paper). (i.e. I don't care if the border is cut off)

(For some reason I thought I'd figured this out a while back...but, my grey matter IS pretty old. :lol: )
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Re: TechDraw: print document without scaling

Post by drmacro »

Sorry for the ping.

But, this question has now turned into multiple questions.

- Assuming one has chosen the wrong Page template, is it possible to change it so the page can be printed at 1:1? (for example, I tried A4, but that won't print at 1:1 on 8.5x11 paper either.)

- Is it possible to force it to print at 1:1?

- Is it possible to move ProjGroup (and the views/dimensions contained) between pages? (i.e. I now have a perfectly dimensioned drawing on a blank A4 and want to move it to another page size.)

- And, when there are multiple pages in the file, how do I tell "Insert Multiple Linked Views" to put the selected feature in a particular page. All I get with 3 pages is "No Shapes, Groups, or Links in this selection" or "Can not determine correct page".

Edit: ok, I found out you can ctl-click select the feature and the page and it knows which page. But, in the process I have another question.

- When you insert a single view (rather than a group), is there a way to set, for example, the top view to align vertically with the front view? (Like they do in a ProjGroup.)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

I haven't spend a lot of time with the printing code, so I may change my mind about some of this after I spend some time on it. :?
drmacro wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm - Assuming one has chosen the wrong Page template, is it possible to change it so the page can be printed at 1:1? (for example, I tried A4, but that won't print at 1:1 on 8.5x11 paper either.)
The code queries the printer for paper size. If your printer has US Letter and your template is A4, the scale will be off a bit (and cropped too, at least on my printer).
as far as I can tell, if the template and printer use the same size paper, the result is 1:1.
- Is it possible to move ProjGroup (and the views/dimensions contained) between pages? (i.e. I now have a perfectly dimensioned drawing on a blank A4 and want to move it to another page size.)
somewhere in the wiki, there is a statement that cutting and pasting TD objects doesn't work well. I've never looked any deeper to find out why. I think there must be references that need to be updated when the object is pasted.
- When you insert a single view (rather than a group), is there a way to set, for example, the top view to align vertically with the front view? (Like they do in a ProjGroup.)
The X & Y properties of an ordinary view represent position of the center of the view on the page. So if view1.X == view2.X, they should be aligned left/right and if view1.Y == view2.Y, they should be aligned up/down.

Note that this doesn't apply to Dimensions, ProjectionGroup Items, etc. This X/Y for these is relative to the parent view.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:19 pm I haven't spend a lot of time with the printing code, so I may change my mind about some of this after I spend some time on it. :?
drmacro wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm - Assuming one has chosen the wrong Page template, is it possible to change it so the page can be printed at 1:1? (for example, I tried A4, but that won't print at 1:1 on 8.5x11 paper either.)
The code queries the printer for paper size. If your printer has US Letter and your template is A4, the scale will be off a bit (and cropped too, at least on my printer).
as far as I can tell, if the template and printer use the same size paper, the result is 1:1.
So far, what I've seen is the Page is always adjusted to fit the paper size reported by the printer. I've not been able to find out how to get it to print 1:1 and trim what's out size the printer reported area.
somewhere in the wiki, there is a statement that cutting and pasting TD objects doesn't work well. I've never looked any deeper to find out why. I think there must be references that need to be updated when the object is pasted.
[/quote]

I can see this being an issue.

But, in addition to the case I mention, there is also the case where the views are dimensioned and you decide to add another view, possibly aux/detail view and the chosen Page size is too small. Having to re-dimension all new views could be annoying.
The X & Y properties of an ordinary view represent position of the center of the view on the page. So if view1.X == view2.X, they should be aligned left/right and if view1.Y == view2.Y, they should be aligned up/down.

Note that this doesn't apply to Dimensions, ProjectionGroup Items, etc. This X/Y for these is relative to the parent view.
[/quote]

Ok, I'll have a look at that.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Note that you can easily change the paper size by changing the Template property of the page.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 pm Note that you can easily change the paper size by changing the Template property of the page.
Interesting point. What does the Page Result property do/mean?

Edit:
Tested by changing the Template and print is still scaled.

Attempted to change Page Result, but it reverts to original value when you click out of the box.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Sorry, I did not explain this correctly, you have to change the Template property of the template that the page uses.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 pm Sorry, I did not explain this correctly, you have to change the Template property of the template that the page uses.
Umm...not seeing what you're saying.

I changed the property to the template of USLetter from A4 and it still scaled as if it was an A4.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

So, basically, you want a single A3 TechDraw page to be split into multiple A4 pages? It's hard to see why. Can't you just add another A4 TechDraw page?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

vanuan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:33 pm So, basically, you want a single A3 TechDraw page to be split into multiple A4 pages? It's hard to see why. Can't you just add another A4 TechDraw page?
No, I want to take an existing A3 drawing and print it (essentially, the content (actual geometry, dimensions) of the center of the page) at 1:1. I don't care what gets clipped off (for example the title block) on the actual 8.5" x 11" paper.