[Solved] Making a sticker with DraftWB

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
catman

[Solved] Making a sticker with DraftWB

Post by catman »

edit: double post removed.
Last edited by catman on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catman

Making a sticker with DraftWB

Post by catman »

I tried to make a sticker, back text with a TTF font on red paper.

I tried to use the draft WB, because it could work with TTF fonts. I created a rectangle and added some text with the StringTool ("S" icon in DraftWB). That way I got 2 objects as outer shapes. I could assign a solid to the rectangle (red), but the same setting did not fill the writing (in this case black). I did not find another way to fill the writing outline with a solid color.

I tried to move the two parts to a PartDesign body and pad them 0.1mm. In a single body that worked perfect. But I did not find out to assing the different colors to writing and background.

Then I used two bodies, one for background and one text. The text pad failed, because it would cause multiple solids. I would have to create an invisible rectangle layer below the text and then pad it, but that would get me unwanted geometry. Rather a bad hack.

Is there a better solution?
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Making a sticker with DraftWB

Post by TheMarkster »

Right click Pad001 and choose Set colors from the menu. As you select various faces you can set their colors individually.
Snip macro screenshot-d8e4ea.png
Snip macro screenshot-d8e4ea.png (101.43 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Attachments
colorful_default.FCStd
(296.98 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Extrude in Part workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I merged the two topics.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
catman

Post by catman »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:05 pm Right click Pad001 and choose Set colors from the menu. As you select various faces you can set their colors individually.
Excellent!
The function is there all the time and I never realized it! It even works for all imported STEP parts. So incredibly useful :D :D :D

Thank you so much!
catman

Re: [Solved] Making a sticker with DraftWB

Post by catman »

Just added a short section in the PartDesign wiki page, since it was not mentioned there.

There is an unfinished page about the function, I liked it in until a reworked page is available. If someone knows the tool well, please check my text and correct me in case of any mistakes. I will update it then, of course.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

catman wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:42 pm There is an unfinished page about the function,
You probably mean this page: Std_SetColors. I don't know either how to create this seemingly non existant page, but the doc should indeed not belong to PartDesign. It is more general.

Renato, if you create the page, we could fill it.
renatorivo wrote: ping
catman

Post by catman »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:02 pm the doc should indeed not belong to PartDesign. It is more general.
Oh, good to know. However, I would suggest to still leave in a link in the PartDesign WB, because it makes sense to know this when reading about the PD workflow. Maybe we should add it to the other places as well? I am not aware of an actual menu entry for that function.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

catman wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:20 pm However, I would suggest to still leave in a link in the PartDesign WB, because it makes sense to know this when reading about the PD workflow. Maybe we should add it to the other places as well?
I understand your intentions: you were in PartDesign, you needed to set colors, and now you have the feeling it should be documented there in PartDesign.
I don't say it's wrong, but that holds for the other workbenches as well. And for other commands as well. You can set colors from PartDesign, Part, Draft, Arch, Curves, ... workbenches.

I think it is sufficient to have the page linked above and leave it to the search function. Currently it is the third entry if you search the docs for "Color". That's not bad.