Concentric circle dimensions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
watsug

Re: Concentric circle dimensions

Post by watsug »

[/quote]
drmacro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 am I would not use the method you describe. Concentricity is defined with reference to the center of two cylindrical objects. I would create a coincident constraint on the center vertex of the circles. This clearly defines them to be concentric.
They circles in both examples are concentric before the user start with adding a dimension constraint between the circles. (In fusion, if the circles are not concentric, a distance between center vertex is added instead). This isn't about making circles concentric. This is about dimensioning/adding a distance/offset to circle lines if they are concentric.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

watsug wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm
drmacro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 am I would not use the method you describe. Concentricity is defined with reference to the center of two cylindrical objects. I would create a coincident constraint on the center vertex of the circles. This clearly defines them to be concentric.
They circles in both examples are concentric before the user start with adding a dimension constraint between the circles. (In fusion, if the circles are not concentric, a distance between center vertex is added instead). This isn't about making circles concentric. This is about dimensioning/adding a distance/offset to circle lines if they are concentric.
Again, I point out, this can be done with existing tools in FreeCAD. We are, after all, discussing how to use FreeCAD. The existing ways may be different than <insert your other software of choice here>...but, we are talking about a different software package.

If the question is:"I did this this way in <insert your other software of choice here>, I'd like to learn how to do this in FreeCAD".
This has been explained.

If the question is: "Hey, when I use <insert your other software of choice here> I can do this in this fashion, I'd like to use the same fashion in FreeCAD because I do this hundreds of time a day and it would be easier for me to use it this way than take the time to learn the FreeCAD way. Should I add a feature request?"
The answer is yes, go ahead, add a feature request. Let me help; here's the link to get started: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Tracker

The fact that I'd not do it that way or whether I think it is a "best practice" (which I don't), is moot.
I have learned how to do it with the tools at hand and in ways I think better presents the intent.

Please don't take the following as personal to anyone...it is said with a smile, not a growl. :mrgreen:
rant on
And for the umpteenth time...I have used, taught and consulted, and developed for virtually every CAD software you can name going back to the 1970's and have done this stuff in many ways...but, when I picked up FreeCAD, I learned, in some cases, different ways.
(yeah, I'm that old... :lol: )
I am continually learning and improving my skills in FreeCAD not <insert the software you used before>. I.e. learning to use the tools at hand is just more important, to me. Let me emphasize, to me. :mrgreen:
rant off
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
watsug

Post by watsug »

drmacro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm Again, I point out, this can be done with existing tools in FreeCAD.
Yes, I'm just pointing out that the OP question and feature request isn't about making circles concentric. This is easily done in FreeCAD (and other software) with a Coincident constraint on the circle center vertex (as you also pointed out). The circles can then be dimensioned/offset with the 3 methods described in this thread in FreeCAD OR with the potential FR request method asked for in this thread.

So I'm just trying to clear up that the potential FR isn't about making the circles concentric, but about adding the "offset dimension" between the circles, in a "simpler" way than it can be done today.

However, as you say, this can be done today, and could be considered low priority to add. But is it good to have a Ticket in the tracker that can be referenced and used if sketcher is reworked?
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

i hope the offset tool can be quikly implemented in sketcher, this is one of most fault in that WB
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Piero69 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:01 pm i hope the offset tool can be quikly implemented in sketcher, this is one of most fault in that WB
... which shows the very extremely high quality of that workbench!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Made a ticket:
https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4503
Also added link to the requested offset feature, since if you are gonna make an offset feature this is pretty critical.
I btw have more than 10 years of experience as a Mechanical design engineer, so it's not that I cannot work without it's just a pain to do it the way it is working now.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

if you are an engineer don't tell me that you have never changed, improved, modified a process, if you say "no" you are not a good engineer who progresses
if you say to yourself "I have an idea to improve but I'm not going to do it because I've been doing it for 10 years" you're not a good engineer
If you buy a new car with the turn signal control on the left, while the one you've had for 10 years had them on the right, are you going to ask the garrage to change hands for you?
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

papyblaise wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:36 pm if you are an engineer don't tell me that you have never changed, improved, modified a process, if you say "no" you are not a good engineer who progresses
if you say to yourself "I have an idea to improve but I'm not going to do it because I've been doing it for 10 years" you're not a good engineer
If you buy a new car with the turn signal control on the left, while the one you've had for 10 years had them on the right, are you going to ask the garrage to change hands for you?
As an Engineer, I cannot stand a process that is not optimal and so I want to fix it.
I am also lazy so if something that can be done in 2 mouse clicks takes now 8 mouse clicks. then I am not a happy engineer.
MIKE_BRANDT

Post by MIKE_BRANDT »

i was a design engineer for 40 years
i started drawing on a board, and have used every major cad program from acad 4 thru catia and unigraphics
in every package that i have used i could and did use the offset from one circle to another
free cad is my cad of choice now and i put in an offset dimention from one circle to another on a regular basis using at least two of the for mentioned methods
BUT
it would be nice if i could do it directly in sketcher.

(rant)
the quetion asked was polite and to the point with a simple yes you can or no you cant answer needed.
this devolved into a squabble about constraint verses dimension , and ,this is what we have so shut up and use what i tell you to use
"can't we all just get along"(rodny king)
(end rant)