Concentric circle dimensions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Concentric circle dimensions

Post by jmaustpc »

papyblaise wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 pm
This icon creates a point-on-object constraint: Image.
This icon creates a tangent constraint:
yes I mistaque :oops:
Trying to add a point to a circle results in an error
are you sure ... how I had doing ... :?:
Obviously he means you get an error if you try to attach the point to a curve if you try to do so using the tangent constraint

You have wasted enough of everyone's time in this topic, so now stop discussing it further, and make no more posts about this.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

You have wasted enough of everyone's time in this topic, so now stop discussing it further, and make no more posts about this.
D'abord je fais ce que je veux , t'as pas à me dire ça :!:
je pourrais te dire d'aller garder tes Kangourous
je te dit ça en français puisque tu te risques dans cette belle langue
et je ferme ma gueule sur ce post :!:
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I have no idea what is going on... IF you place a dimension between 2 circles it is always on offset from the first circle, this also means they are always concentric. Putting a dimension from one circle to the other that are not concentric should default to error or to the mid point of the circle.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MisterMaker wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 pm I have no idea what is going on... IF you place a dimension between 2 circles it is always on offset from the first circle, this also means they are always concentric. Putting a dimension from one circle to the other that are not concentric should default to error or to the mid point of the circle.
While I disagree with you, it is a moot issue whether what you propose is valid geometrically or not. 8-)

The method you suggest is not available in FreeCAD at this point. :roll:

The techniques suggested are available. ;)

Whether it should be added and how it would work is another question. And may be worth further discussion in this thread or addition of a new thread referencing the feature request.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

MisterMaker wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 pm I have no idea what is going on... IF you place a dimension between 2 circles it is always on offset from the first circle, this also means they are always concentric. Putting a dimension from one circle to the other that are not concentric should default to error or to the mid point of the circle.
It is hard to understand what you are talking about. If you are talking about TechDraw, the the dimension object is simply reading the predefined style of distance from one point to another. There is no need to get an error if circles are not concentric, it may be a deliberate design decsision to have the circles off centre for some reason.

If you are talking about sketcher then they are constraints (not dimensions), if you want the circles concentric then make them so, you do that by applying a coincidence constraint to the circle centres. If you don't want them concentric (perhaps so they are off centre like a cam for some reason) then you should be able to apply the constraints as you like, no need to force an error just because that is how you want it to work for one use case. FreeCAD is designed to be flexible.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:24 pm ... (should not be repeated)
This is inapprpropriate, not only because a moderator calls you to order, but for the personal insult to one of the most respected and valuable members of this community.
A simple excuse would be a good idea.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

A simple excuse would be a good idea.
Apologies for the inconvenience :oops:
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

offset dimemension.gif
offset dimemension.gif (385.79 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
This is how it works everywhere.
offset dimemension freecad.gif
offset dimemension freecad.gif (547 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
This is me doing it in Freecad.

Is there a reason it doesn't work in Freecad or should I make a feature request?
watsug

Post by watsug »

@MisterMaker
Great example.

I also think this would be a good improvement that would make the use of sketcher more intuitive. I'm not a programmer of sketcher so I don't know the inner workings, so I can only evaluate on a user perspective, in how the user would invoke the dimension and how it could fit in with the current dimensioning constraints.

Into which tool would it be implemented, if it's implemented today? Horizontal distance, Vertical distance, Distance or Radius, Diameter? Should it the tool add the construction line? For this to work well, maybe bigger changes to Sketcher need to be implemented, for example distance between lines (not vertices) or an offset tool, that both would benefit from this type of dimensioning constraint.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I knew how to achieve this before this thread.

At least 3 ways to achieve this have been presented.

I would not use the method you describe. Concentricity is defined with reference to the center of two cylindrical objects. I would create a coincident constraint on the center vertex of the circles. This clearly defines them to be concentric.

If you want the feature, please, make a request. :)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."