[ LinkGroup ] Help, Wiki or Tutorial ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

[ LinkGroup ] Help, Wiki or Tutorial ?

Post by paullee »

I am looking at Arch Building Part again.

Noting a Link to Building Part is not working as a Link to plain Group. I try LinkGroup and seems work.

However, I search everywhere and do not seem to be more help on the LinkGroup, LinkMode, LinkGroup Transformed etc., though there is a hint in original BuildingPart announcement thread.

BTW, should this functionality be incorporated in BuildingPart directly ?

realthunder wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 pm
yorik wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 pm A new object type has just landed in Arch: The BuildingPart.
Hi, yorik, maybe you can take a look at my new LinkGroup. It's in my branch. I have recently merged it with upstream which includes your BuildingPart, I think.

There is a ready to use 'App::LinkGroup', or, you can easily made a Python object of your own using 'App::LinkExtension'. It works like 'App::Part', but without any of its restrictions, and many extra features, like auto creating external link when an object from another document is drag and dropped in.

I am not sure how BIM workflow handles all the duplicated instances, like all the similar looking floors. But most likely Link can help in that respect as well.

Can you please post some sample file with your new BuildingPart. I can try it with LinkGroup and see if it really helps.
House_01_OpenSource.FCStd
(800 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Screenshot from 2020-08-30 11-33-36.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-30 11-33-36.png (420.83 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
realthunder
Veteran

Re: [ LinkGroup ] Help, Wiki or Tutorial ?

Post by realthunder »

paullee wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:40 am I am looking at Arch Building Part again.

Noting a Link to Building Part is not working as a Link to plain Group. I try LinkGroup and seems work.
Can you please try my branch and see if Link work with Building Part. I remember did some fix this in that group change PR.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

realthunder wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:43 pm
paullee wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:40 am I am looking at Arch Building Part again.

Can you please try my branch and see if Link work with Building Part. I remember did some fix this in that group change PR.
Thanks for the hints, download latest (previous version crash opening the file)
FreeCAD_0.19-22284-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage
on Fedora 31

It seems somehow working to some extent, thanks :D Visually the Link move independently - Objects under the BuildingParts seem 'reproduced' and move independently. Even the Subtraction under the ArchWall (Wall__GF) is 'recreated'.

However, the Clones of Windows under the ArchWall (Wall__GF) - the ArchWall set in Host property of Windows, are not recreated

LinkGroup
Anyhow, still want more explanation / wiki available for LinkGroup ?

Screenshot from 2020-09-01 23-05-18.png
Screenshot from 2020-09-01 23-05-18.png (317.36 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

paullee wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:14 pm However, the Clones of Windows under the ArchWall (Wall__GF) - the ArchWall set in Host property of Windows, are not recreated
I'll fix that soon. The purpose of that Group change PR is to make App::Part works better with Link and reduce the need for a separate LinkGroup. Can you elaborate any specific usage for LinkGroup in your mind? Or, maybe you can simply use App::Part, and add linked BuildingPart inside.

If you want to try LinkGroup, use tree view context menu, Link actions -> Make link group

If you want to write your own link group, you can find more details about the internals here, the wiki article, not the video. It shows some code to create a Python Link object using the LinkBaseExtension. You can do similar thing to create link group this way. A simpler way would be to use App::LinkGroupPython, and set your own proxy.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

realthunder wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:28 am I'll fix that soon. The purpose of that Group change PR is to make App::Part works better with Link and reduce the need for a separate LinkGroup. Can you elaborate any specific usage for LinkGroup in your mind? Or, maybe you can simply use App::Part, and add linked BuildingPart inside.
Hi is the possibility to use buildingparts in links going to be send upstream at any point to the master branch?