Seeking help on modifying an existing model - part 1

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Re: Seeking help on modifying an existing model - part 1

Post by falviani »

DrMacro: Thanks for the reply. I often use the reference tool you mention, but I find that I very often can't select the sketch I want to reference. The limitations on what can be selected are not documented anyplace I can find. I may (reluctantly) need to look at the source code to figure out what I can't do :(

The 'copy' tool I was referring to is this:
CopyTool.png
CopyTool.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 316 times
which I often find useful for referring to sketches. It also has limitations, I'm afraid.

At this point I'm finding it nearly impossible to modify the model to fix the problems. I may need to rebuild it again :evil:

-Frank
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

falviani wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 pm DrMacro: Thanks for the reply. I often use the reference tool you mention, but I find that I very often can't select the sketch I want to reference. The limitations on what can be selected are not documented anyplace I can find. I may (reluctantly) need to look at the source code to figure out what I can't do :(

CopyTool.png

which I often find useful for referring to sketches. It also has limitations, I'm afraid.

At this point I'm finding it nearly impossible to modify the model to fix the problems. I may need to rebuild it again :evil:

-Frank
If the geometry you are trying to copy is in another body, you need to hold the control key (I think...I'm sitting at the beach after one too many adult beverages...). There may be other situations that would prevent that copy from working...I just don't know without actually testing (old synapses...).

Also, I get it, some times modifying broken sketches can just be easier to re-do... :cry:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

falviani wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 pm The limitations on what can be selected are not documented anyplace I can find. I may (reluctantly) need to look at the source code to figure out what I can't do :(
Of course you can do that. As an alternative the documentation of the the External tool states quite clearly that you can reference only things inside the same body.
It also has limitations, I'm afraid.
It is Sketcher CarbonCopy and the documentation tells you how to use it for sketches in a different plane or in another body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.