Part vs Body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vagulus

Part vs Body

Post by Vagulus »

Please clear up my confusion.

What is the difference between a New Part
Create New Part.png
Create New Part.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
and a New Body
Create New Body.png
Create New Body.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
? Is a new Part something like a Project in some other 3D Modelling Software (We Do Not Speak Their Names?) while a new Body like a Part within that Project?

Thanks
"It is much harder to simplify than to complicate."
Joseph Kimble
vocx
Veteran

Re: Part vs Body

Post by vocx »

Vagulus wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:45 am Please clear up my confusion.
Std_Part

PartDesign Body
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

Hi vocx
Vagulus wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:45 am Please clear up my confusion.
I had read those pages you referenced and what I wrote in the original post was my interpretation of them. I am just trying to find out if I have this right. It's a terminological thing and FreeCAD seems to have its own terminology. My problem is translating terms I understand into FreeCAD-ese. It's like Extrude becoming Pad and Cut becoming Pocket.

So, I'd really like someone who has been familiar with We do not speak their names to confirm (or refute) my question, "Is a new Part something like a Project in some other 3D Modelling Software while a new Body is like a Part within that Project?"

Thanks
Joseph Kimble
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please be aware that this is the FreeCAD forum, and that people here may not have much knowledge about another program without even knowing its name.
If you re-read the page about the Part containter you see that it is rather like an assembly which can contain solids or other subassemblies. Bodies are indeed just single solids. Which usually live on top level (small model) or inside of a Part container (big model).

So to answer your question: If a project in some other program is a collection of objects and sub assemblies with its own placement, then the answer is yes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

My simple understanding, and the way I use them, is that each have their own co-ordinate system and:

- A body is a single solid object
- A part is a collection of bodies or other parts (or indeed other types of object)

So, basically I use parts to create hierarchical groups of objects.

But I'm not familiar with other CAD systems, so I don't know how that compares!
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:56 am Please be aware that this is the FreeCAD forum, and that people here may not have much knowledge about another program without even knowing its name.
Yes, chrisb, I am aware of that but in this case I was appealing for a response from someone who does have experience with other CAD programs.
chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:56 am If you re-read the page about the Part containter you see that it is rather like an assembly which can contain solids or other subassemblies. Bodies are indeed just single solids. Which usually live on top level (small model) or inside of a Part container (big model).
It seems my interpretation was correct.
Thanks
Joseph Kimble
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

Brutha wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:58 am My simple understanding, and the way I use them, is ...
Much appreciated.
Joseph Kimble
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Would it be useful to ask forum members.to.help.by.generating.a.table.to.assist.
understand terminology.from.other.packages.e.g.

Program_______|..Operations___|..Components..|.Single.body.models___|.Combined.items__|'Component' |'Assembly'___|
______________|e.g..hole______|.nuts/bolts____|.e.g..block/bracket___|.e.g..engine______|__Drawing__|Drawing____|
______________|.chamfer______|_____________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FreeCAD_______|Feature______|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solidworks____|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
Creo__________|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
Fusion.360____|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
Catia_________|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
SolidEdge_____|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
NX____________|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
Onshape_______|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
Spaceclaim____|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
BRL-CAD_______|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
Salome________|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
AC.Inventor___|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
Creo.Elements_|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
ZW3D__________|_____________|______________|____________________|________________|___________|___________|
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Vagulus wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:02 am
Brutha wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:58 am My simple understanding, and the way I use them, is ...
Much appreciated.
My advice to new users is ignore the yellow icon.

It creates a container object and is not of interest until the user has a specific reason to use them. I have hundreds of models and no Part objects.

Note, there are reasons to use them in assemblies and the assembly workbenches use them a lot. There are also workflows in a basic file where they can be used to compartmentalize the feature tree.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

drmacro wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:23 am Note, there are reasons to use them in assemblies and the assembly workbenches use them a lot. There are also workflows in a basic file where they can be used to compartmentalize the feature tree.
I think that is why I am interested in them. ;)
Thanks
Joseph Kimble