[Solved] Copy geometry from other sketch, can't change easily constraints

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nekopep

[Solved] Copy geometry from other sketch, can't change easily constraints

Post by nekopep »

Hello,

I've setup a sketch (sketch001) to draw holes in an extrusion (sketch).
To complete my design I wanted to do a new sketch (sketch002) and copy a geometry form sketch001.
constraint_issue.FCStd
File showing the issue
(8.92 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
All seems ok, but I hit a kind bug in the UI , I can't easily change the constraints.

I've made a short video showing the issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nz6GlD ... xCxTg/view

When I try to change the constraint from 70mm to 60mm in sketch002 it is a real pain to modify it. (constraint is in orange, so you always have to click on little blue button to modify anything.)

Is there a way to remove the "orange" property?
blue button
blue button
Screenshot_20200912_122708.png (38.45 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Last edited by nekopep on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bance
Veteran

Re: Copy geometry from other sketch, can't change easily constraints

Post by Bance »

Instead of using Carbon copy Image use ext geometry Image
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD. :)

I moved this to Help forum since its a help request.

Please always post your version data, how to do so is explained in the Forum Rules link above this forum.
nekopep wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am All seems ok, but I hit a kind bug in the UI , I can't easily change the constraints.
Its not a bug, they are easily to edit
nekopep wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am When I try to change the constraint from 70mm to 60mm in sketch002 it is a real pain to modify it. (constraint is in orange, so you always have to click on little blue button to modify anything.)
The yare orange because you have defined them with an Expression rather than just a value. By definition you should not be able to edit them unless you edit or remove the expressions, or change the value of whatever you are reading with that expression.

Here is the wiki page for Expressions

If you want to remove the expression, click on the blue Expression icon then click on the "clear" button in the expression editor, then click OK, and you will be back to an standard constraint (red) with its value taken from the last value calculated by the previous Expression.

Here is a screen shot
Screenshot_20200912_224158.png
Screenshot_20200912_224158.png (20.61 KiB) Viewed 597 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 46209e7f7759713ccd0fb31da2fa7bd26e116c8a
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Bance wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm Instead of using Carbon copy Image use ext geometry Image
Sort of but a well designed Expression can be less likely to suffer from a failure after edit due to the topological naming limitation.
TedM

Post by TedM »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD. :)

I moved this to Help forum since its a help request.

Please always post your version data, how to do so is explained in the Forum Rules link above this forum.
nekopep wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am All seems ok, but I hit a kind bug in the UI , I can't easily change the constraints.
Its not a bug, they are easily to edit
nekopep wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am When I try to change the constraint from 70mm to 60mm in sketch002 it is a real pain to modify it. (constraint is in orange, so you always have to click on little blue button to modify anything.)
The yare orange because you have defined them with an Expression rather than just a value. By definition you should not be able to edit them unless you edit or remove the expressions, or change the value of whatever you are reading with that expression.

Here is the wiki page for Expressions

If you want to remove the expression, click on the blue Expression icon then click on the "clear" button in the expression editor, then click OK, and you will be back to an standard constraint (red) with its value taken from the last value calculated by the previous Expression.

Here is a screen shot
Screenshot_20200912_224158.png

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 46209e7f7759713ccd0fb31da2fa7bd26e116c8a
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
An easier way I've found to clear the expression is to click the "reference" checkbox twice. The first click clears the expression and turns the constraint into a reference, which measures the distance instead of setting it. The second click turns it back into a constraint but with just a simple value.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TedM wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm
jmaustpc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm ...
Ted, please don't quote whole posts. Restrict yourself to the parts you are directly refering to. Those who want to read the whole post again can follow the up-arrow link to get there.
jmaustpc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:08 pm Sort of but a well designed Expression can be less likely to suffer from a failure after edit due to the topological naming limitation.
As the constraints are used by their numbers they can create problems similar to the topological naming problem.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 pm jmaustpc wrote: ↑
12 Sep 2020, 23:08
Sort of but a well designed Expression can be less likely to suffer from a failure after edit due to the topological naming limitation.

As the constraints are used by their numbers they can create problems similar to the topological naming problem.
That is true particularly in this case, but that is why I said "a well designed Expression" and "can be", I meant that it depends on the details, for example where the expression gets it data from etc. :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:25 am That is true particularly in this case, but that is why I said "a well designed Expression" and "can be", I meant that it depends on the details, for example where the expression gets it data from etc. :)
You are, of course, right as always. I had made some tests before my post above, and I don't fully understand what's happening, but that is something for another topic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:37 am
jmaustpc wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:25 am That is true particularly in this case, but that is why I said "a well designed Expression" and "can be", I meant that it depends on the details, for example where the expression gets it data from etc. :)
You are, of course, right as always. I had made some tests before my post above, and I don't fully understand what's happening, but that is something for another topic.
I agree with your assessment of my "rightness", but I think my girls are slightly less inclined to agree with the "always" part. Apparently I have no fashion sense and dress like a dag! :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 am I agree with your assessment of my "rightness", but I think my girls are slightly less inclined to agree with the "always" part. Apparently I have no fashion sense and dress like a dag! :D
Been there done that; "Oh dad, you're so embarrassing, can you please go at least ten steps behind us?". At least they didn't say "Be good and behave, you stay in the car".