How to set new origin of part?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PedjaS

How to set new origin of part?

Post by PedjaS »

I've created new part. After some work I finished it and it is all ok except it ended up oddly orientated in coordinate system. It is confusing when used, as it has to be aligned to the rest of the project.

How can I set new zero coordinate and orientation of the part so it is easily used?

I know I can use placement to properly orientate part. but that leaves odd values for coordinates and orientation. What I need to orientate part and then set that (current) orientation as zero, meaning all coordinataes and rotations are zeroed.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22284 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to set new origin of part?

Post by chrisb »

PedjaS wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:55 pm How can I set new zero coordinate and orientation of the part so it is easily used?
See Placement, but usually it is better to model the object in the right place, especially with a well considered center and well considered orientation with respect to the main planes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
PedjaS

Post by PedjaS »

Well sometimes, or better say quite often, when zu are designing thins, it ens up differently than when started and need to change orientation happens.

As I noted I do it now with Placement but that is not nice and tidy solution.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Could you provide a sample file? (i.e. one you receive from "when zu are designing thins")
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
PedjaS

Post by PedjaS »

As simple example: create cube and rotate it 45 degrees. Imagine that is part you created (that might be more complex).

After that, using Transform to align it with other parts in project becomes very odd.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Manipulator workbench
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hi, I am sure I am reviving an old post that had been discussed one way or the other a thousand times, but I cannot exactly pin-point an answer in my searching of the forum.

What about a .step file imported externally? quite often I get .step files that have the strangest origin, sometimes it is a part taken out of context from a large assembly, and therefore has an origin meters away from the part I care about. Tough to design around that.

The question remains: having imported a .step file with an origin that is far away from the actual body, how can I re-center the body to its origin/create new origin for the body?

Many thanks in advance for any piece of clarity you can bring.

Best,
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

RatonLaveur wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm The question remains: having imported a .step file with an origin that is far away from the actual body, how can I re-center the body to its origin/create new origin for the body?
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Macro_MoveToOrigin
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

RatonLaveur wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm The question remains: having imported a .step file with an origin that is far away from the actual body, how can I re-center the body to its origin/create new origin for the body?
Help on moving object to origin
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 91#p498091
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Thank you very much for these answers. I'll definitely make use of it.