FreeCAD Applink file - very slow to work on

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
arnn

FreeCAD Applink file - very slow to work on

Post by arnn »

Hello everyone.

I have been using freecad for a while now and have recently tried to work on a file with Applink models. This particular file has become very slow, it takes about 5 min to open and any operation w.r.t the applink models (like delete, move, copy) is again very slow (5mins approx :cry: )
i have attached the main file along with the applink inserted files

Could anyone please tell me if this is a bug or i am doing it wrong.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22756 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ce87f586ee36ffe8ebcdcd3947ced4ab389ae795
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/India (en_IN)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Applink file - very slow to work on

Post by chrisb »

arnn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 am i have attached the main file along with the applink inserted files
The file is missing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
arnn

Post by arnn »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am
arnn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 am i have attached the main file along with the applink inserted files
The file is missing.
attaching the files. main file is called "store" with 2 additional applink files called "acryic shelf" & "acrylic panel"
Attachments
Store.FCStd
(287.97 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Acrylic Shelf.FCStd
(40.49 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Acrylic Panel.FCStd
(273.11 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Delete the M8x25.0-ThreadedRod. I do not think you really need it. And certainly not that detailed. It occurs 36 times in the Store model and is the main cause of your problem. If you must include it try using a link array.
PMac

Post by PMac »

arnn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 pm
Hi arnn,
The TechDraw pages need to be set for manual updates. Right Click over each page and toggle Keep Updated to off. Save your file and speeds return to normal.

There is something going on in Page 004 which slows things down. I'd look very closely at the view.

TechDraw pages being automatically updated are fine as you modify small 3D models, but minor model changes really slows FreeCAD down as the model increases in size. The way I understand it is that for every change made in the model, the each corresponding TechDraw view is updated. There are heaps of forum entries re this effect. How you fix the view may warrant further investigation.

Hope this helps.
arnn

Post by arnn »

PMac wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:01 pm
arnn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 pm
Hi arnn,
The TechDraw pages need to be set for manual updates. Right Click over each page and toggle Keep Updated to off. Save your file and speeds return to normal.

There is something going on in Page 004 which slows things down. I'd look very closely at the view.

TechDraw pages being automatically updated are fine as you modify small 3D models, but minor model changes really slows FreeCAD down as the model increases in size. The way I understand it is that for every change made in the model, the each corresponding TechDraw view is updated. There are heaps of forum entries re this effect. How you fix the view may warrant further investigation.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick answers guys. :)
@Roy_043 that totally worked for me.