Unable to add dimension to new lines in Part Design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PuppyPower

Unable to add dimension to new lines in Part Design

Postby PuppyPower » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:09 am

I am having problems adding dimensions to any new line that I add to my sketch. I like to draw lines that are not connected to any other, dimension them, and then join them to the existing sketch lines. See the attached documents for the error message.

I am also having another problem with adding constraints. Foe example, when I select the end points of 2 lines and make them coincident, nothing happens until I move one of the lines, at which point the lines jump together. Or if I sketch a line somewhat on an angle, and then put a horizontal constraint on it, the constrain symbol appears, but the line remains on an angle until I attempt to move it.

PS. Both Windows and Macs have the built in ability to create video (mp4) of what is happening on screen. Is there any method for me to send one to you to show exactly what I am talking about?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
Attachments
Constraint_A.PNG
Attempt to add dimension
Constraint_A.PNG (34.76 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Constraint_B.PNG
error when adding dimension
Constraint_B.PNG (44.2 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Constraint_C.PNG
angled line with horizontal constraint
Constraint_C.PNG (11.41 KiB) Viewed 241 times
chrisb

Re: Unable to add dimension to new lines in Part Design

Postby chrisb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:30 am

This sounds as if you have an error message (in red) from the solver and you continue to add constraints. Don't do that! Fix the error as soon as it occurs and continue then. See here for more details: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30104.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf deutsch, en français, en español.
PuppyPower

Postby PuppyPower » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 pm

I had to delete every constraint from my sketch in order to add a dimension to a line.
I just can't seem to get constraints to function correctly. I am attaching another very simple set of sketches to show my point.
The first picture shows a fully constrained 3 line sketch.
sketch1.png
sketch1.png (27.19 KiB) Viewed 183 times
The second picture shows a new line added to the sketch without any constraints assigned to it.
sketch2.png
sketch2.png (29.48 KiB) Viewed 183 times
The third shows the line with a coincident constraint and a vertical constrain added but the constraints have not taken place.
sketch3.png
sketch3.png (29.57 KiB) Viewed 183 times
The forth shows an error when I try to add a dimension to the line, but the sketch shows the colour that indicates that it is fully constrained.
sketch4.png
sketch4.png (161.41 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Why are the lines not joined together and why is the new line not vertical, and why can't I add a dimension?

As soon as I attempt to move the line, it snaps in place correctly, but still will not let me add a dimension to it.
sketch5.png
sketch5.png (155.66 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
drmacro

Postby drmacro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm not at a computer at the moment so can't test anything.

do you have auto remove redundant on? if not, you should.

if you have auto constraints turned on, turn it off.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:46 pm

I am quite sure that you had a red message from the solver before adding the last constraints. Otherwise please upload your file. I am no friend of auto remove redundant constraints. They make life seemingly easier, but you never really understand how they work. If you know what's going on, you can enable it again.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro

Postby drmacro » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:00 pm

@chrisb I agree on auto remove.

but since I couldn't test it, I was thinking the horizontal and symmetry in the first line was probably causing an issue.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:54 am

drmacro wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:00 pm
@chrisb I agree on auto remove.

but since I couldn't test it, I was thinking the horizontal and symmetry in the first line was probably causing an issue.
I was thinking the same but also point on object,
PuppyPower wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:09 am
. I like to draw lines that are not connected to any other, dimension them, and then join them to the existing sketch lines.
Well stop doing that then, use it as intended, you will no doubt cause yourself less confusion.

You are obviously adding conflicting and redundant constraints. Some will have been added by autoconstraints assuming that you have not disabled them.

Turn on report view, since you don't appear to be noticing the red errors that briefly pop up in the bottom boarder. The errors will be more obvious and will endure.

Upgrade to FreeCAD 0.19 as it has improvements in this area, There are pre compiled snapshots available for download that run without needing to be installed.

As others have said, the option of automatic removal of conflicting constraints, is useful for testing but can in itself cause more confusion and encourage bad practice, so maybe briefly try it but don't forget to turn it off again.

There are more options and better reporting of constraint conflicts in FreeCAD 0.19, including the function to select the conflicting constraints.

You also make diagnosis difficult and inaccurate since you didn't attach a FreeCAD file that demonstrates your issue.