[SOLVED] Some holes disappear in 2-body fusion

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ulidtko

Re: OpenCascade bug? Some holes disappear in 2-body fusion

Post by ulidtko »

Welp. Okay. Dummy me :lol:

It did work! Thanks a lot chrisb
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Some holes disappear in 2-body fusion

Post by jmaustpc »

I have been looking at it while all these replies came in. I was going to say about the tip as well. For any body, click on it and then look at its "tip" property to ensure the correct object is listed. You will see that it is not in one of your bodies., You just click on the "..." in the property field and you will get a tip selection dialogue. See this screen shot, it's point to two object higher up, where i should be pointing to the Fillet. Although having said that, in most cases it's a very bad idea to add dress up features like fillets in the middle of your model history, best to leave then until the end so if they have issues you don't create a huge mess out of your project file.
Screenshot_20201028_122957.png
Screenshot_20201028_122957.png (44.83 KiB) Viewed 492 times

There is also another problem with your file. If you recompute the whole file you will get tghe following error in rep[ort view, if you have report view turned on, (view menu...panels..report view)...

12:31:18 PartDesign::Body / Body: Links go out of the allowed scope
12:33:15 PartDesign::AdditiveCylinder / Cylinder001: Links go out of the allowed scope
12:33:15 PartDesign::Body / Body: Links go out of the allowed scope

And if you look at the dependency graph (Tools menu..Dependency graph) you will see that "Cylinder" is referencing a datum plane in a different body...see the red arrow in this screen shot of a part of the dependency graph.
Screenshot_20201028_123755.png
Screenshot_20201028_123755.png (37.99 KiB) Viewed 492 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To add to Jim's post, I usually set Tip from the other end:
- activate the body
- right click on the feature which should become Tip
- set Tip.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ulidtko

Post by ulidtko »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:47 am There is also another problem with your file. If you recompute the whole file you will get tghe following error in rep[ort view, if you have report view turned on, (view menu...panels..report view)...

12:31:18 PartDesign::Body / Body: Links go out of the allowed scope
12:33:15 PartDesign::AdditiveCylinder / Cylinder001: Links go out of the allowed scope
12:33:15 PartDesign::Body / Body: Links go out of the allowed scope
Yes I was aware of that; yet still, thanks for noting. That body which is cross-cutting in the deps graph (why oh why can't it be panned :x) was sort of a helper, just to check what I'm doing. It's not part of the final model proper.

I guess, the correct way to do it is to add datum plane in the helper body, but attach it to external reference face of the other body. But... nah, I don't need this helper already anyway, might as well just delete.
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Myself, I would create the parts in separate bodies then fuse them later or create two separate files and assemble them in another file.
ulidtko

Post by ulidtko »

un1corn wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:22 am Myself, I would create the parts in separate bodies then fuse them later
That's exactly what I did.

Didn't notice that the tip was off, so the fused body appeared to lack a few steps. Now I know!