Is there a simple Auto-Save?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Is there a simple Auto-Save?

Post by chrisb »

MikeDewitt wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:04 pm So, I have to do more work to fix something I don't want and can't get a better option considered fairly. Why is there always a push-back from suggestions for making improvements to FC? I simply asked "is there."
The reason why there are often suggestions even if you have already an answer is quite simple: You didn't hire the helpers as personals trainers for some 150$ per hour. So they give advice to you and to others who may have a similar but not identical question.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MikeDewitt

Post by MikeDewitt »

TheMarkster wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:21 pm This would auto save every delay_in_seconds, which can be changed from the default of 60. Hold down Shift key while executing to stop the timer and no longer auto save.
That works exceptionally well. Thanks for some calm sanity here.
MikeDewitt

Post by MikeDewitt »

kisolre wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:44 pm You had a real answer in the first two posts - there is no such mechanism as you requested
No, I did not get a real answer. I opened the OP with
Hi, I do not want to use the Auto-Recovery-Save
and simply reiterating what I do NOT want does NOT make it an answer.

Moot point as TheMarkster kindly provided me with the Python Script to do what **I** was asking about and it works perfectly.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I have no interest is joining the argument one way or the other.

However, I am curious. I just have the default auto-save setttings, and I have never seen any of these ghost files? I don't "clean" anything either.

Where would one look to find these files?

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:51 pm Where would one look to find these files?
Quite some time ago I changed the default path to something else in EditParameters->BaseApp->General->TempPath, but I'm not sure if the parameter is listed at all if it is left on default.
The reason why I changed it, was that the files were stored in the system default Temp directory. My computer had rather frequent power dropouts, which wouldn't have been a serious problem, because I had these backup files made every two minutes. Alas, the Temp directory which was cleaned on startup ...
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

According to a post from TheMarkster they live on Windows in appdata/local/temp, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=38598. (Still searching for the post where Werner told me about the parameter.)
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

One of the auto recovery folders with some leftovers in it:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\_User_\AppData\Local\Temp\FreeCAD_Doc_7da845fc-0613-4c01-894d-b652f0518947_d0cdcd_3676
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I occasionally see a file or two in the autorecovery folder, after a crash. But I have never seen a batch of autosave files. The program says it is autosaving periodically during normal operation, but those files either are not really created or they are killed when I save and exit.

Strange.

Gene