Rename: The two visual modes of using Sketcher

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Re: Rename: The two visual modes of using Sketcher

Post by freedman »

why don't you just click on the Sketcher_ViewSection tool/icon in sketcher wb.
The Section tool doesn't work if you want external geo from something in front of the clip. And currently we can't select external geo thru a solid.

It would be useful to be able to select external geo under the mouse in a solid, FreeCAD can see the external shapes we just can't pick one. It's possible if the picks were filtered to vertex and lines, that might do it, not sure.
Here is a pic where I wanted the external geo from the front single hole to the rear sketch. Because I rotated in 3D I can see the sketch clear to do external geo but I can't select it thru the solid. I feel that's the reason SM1 is being used as a default.

It's possible that being able to switch back and forth SM1-SM2 realtime, is the best case.
Attachments
external2.png
external2.png (98.26 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Last edited by freedman on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

drmacro, I can't see what changes when the SM button is clicked.
Marios video shows what things should look like, the video shows a lot of button presses but it should work. Cycling the SM button one time when a new doc is opened synchronizes the Preference settings, after that when opening a sketch you should see a bare sketch with SM1 or the full model and sketch using SM2.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

freedman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:08 pm ... Cycling the SM button one time when a new doc is opened synchronizes the Preference settings, after that when opening a sketch you should see a bare sketch with SM1 or the full model and sketch using SM2.
So, does SM# actually refer to Edit>Preferences>Sketcher>Display Visibility automation?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

So, does SM# actually refer to Edit>Preferences>Sketcher>Display Visibility automation?
Yes.