Lost my work and cannot find it

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys

Again thanks for your help. I am in the country and NO ONE does FreeCad.

I know you will think I am an idiot, but I have lost my work.

I know there is a command “space bar” and the work is suppose to come back.

I think…. But I have lost my work and I need a way of finding it and centring it in the workspace.

Any suggestions??

Some how the work has got all bunched up and I cannot get it back.

Seems everytime I go out of Sketcher, the drawing get bunched up or is only 1 dot....yes I know I am not good at this, but I have to ask.

What have I done????
Attachments
2020-11-20-Lost my work.PNG
2020-11-20-Lost my work.PNG (159.43 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Last edited by foxint on Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Lost my work and cannot find it

Post by chrisb »

You have zoomed all out. You can hide the grid and try View->StandardViews->FitAll, but I guess it will not help much, because your sketch is far off the center. You can zoom back in with the mouse or with CTRL and the "+" key. As soon as it goes out of sight recenter 3D view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi ChrisB

That worked. Thank you.

It seems to happen when I exit out of sketcher.

Crossing fingers it remains stable.

Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The Sketcher doesn't know how you previously have displayed the sketch, so he starts showing it all, which includes the origin. This changes nothing so it will remain stable.

However, there is something else you may consider: If you modeled your sketch so far off the center just at random, then you should move it to the center. If it is there on purpose, then you may consider attaching it to something from the rest of your geometry.

If you can upload your file we can give further recommendations.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi ChrisB

Thank you. That is very kind of you. Here is the file. I keep having to re-start as things seem to fall off or measurements change.

Thank you
Attachments
X299-Case-4U-Front-Panel-Switches-New.FCStd
(19.81 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

So I was wrong, you have it centered in the origin - or did you move it after my remark above?

However, I have some remarks to your sketching. It is recemmended to prefer geometric constraints over dimensions. The cause less clutter on the screen and better show the intrinsic geometry. In your case it is e.g. important that the triangles all have the same size. And on second look it may be important that this size has a certain value.

Use Tangency! Make yourself familiar with point-to-point tangency. It is much easier than construcvting it yourself with the other geometric constraints.

Use symmetry, but use it with care. You may read why in the lecture linked in my signature.

I did soome rework on your sketch and could reduce the number of dimensional constraints from 80 to 22! At the same time the overall number of constraints was reduced from 371 to 327 while even reducing the number of degrees of freedom by 2.
Attachments
X299-Case-4U-Front-Pane_cb.FCStd
(14.34 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi ChrisB

Fantastic. Not sure what you did…but thanks

By way of explanation, the sketch is not finished. The triangles have a 2-radius for the cutting tool (makes it neater). The triangle will fill up the circles and are air vents.

I have found that is I take say the triangle with the rounded points and copy it a number of times I lose the sizing. Then I have to re-size those that have gone funny…..

Thank you
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I forgot something: more than 300 constraints are too much to be handled efficiently. You should consider to divide it in two, or you model in a first go half of the symmetric stuff, pad it and then mirror it before continuing.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi ChrisB

Thank you for the advice.

I do not know how to divide and/or mirror. I did have a go at the mirror a while ago and it went very wrong.

??
foxint

Post by foxint »

foxint wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:17 am Hi ChrisB

Thank you for the advice.

I do not know how to divide and/or mirror. I did have a go at the mirror a while ago and it went very wrong.

I am still working on the Left Hand Side....slow progress (12:00 SummerTime AU

??