Bug submission guidelines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug submission guidelines

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:23 pm and I still think bolded text is a good way to go.
... whatever helps to improve awareness.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:59 pm 2. Discuss the problem on the forum first!
Maybe we could add an why? link?
I don't know the words, but, "help us triage your bug so it gets fixed. Developer time is precious" etc.?
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:40 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:59 pm 2. Discuss the problem on the forum first!
I don't know the words, but, "help us triage your bug so it gets fixed. Developer time is precious" etc.?
I think this is also a valid request.
Do we have consensus on what I'm proposing in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 36#p259976
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Fine with me.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pmFine with me.
Me too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 pm Do we have consensus on what I'm proposing in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 36#p259976
I would tweak #2 as suggested by chrisb. Even if the user is sure, we want to test on other OS/Distros to refine the bug report.
"fight the good fight"
ooveif9

Post by ooveif9 »

yorik wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:48 pm
1. Make sure that what you found is a bug. The definition of a bug is this: Something that is not working, but for which you are sure that it should be working (for example it worked in the past, or it is advertised on the FreeCAD documentation wiki). Otherwise, it might be simply that what you want is not implemented, or maybe you are doing something wrong.
Please clarify your bug definition. If FreeCAD crashes because I do something wrong, is that a bug or not? Should it be reported? Thanks.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Following the directions in the first post of this topic is still the correct method for "bugs".

If you get to the third box, go ahead and create a topic in the Help fourm. The responders will either help find your error or will agree that the crash is really a bug. Don't go straight to the Mantis tracker before discussing on the forum.

A crash should never happen, whether due to user error or a bug. But of course crashes do happen because it is very difficult to predict every sort of error that a user might make.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:40 pm
Proposal for point 2:

2. Discuss the problem on the forum first! This should be done before creating a ticket in the bugtracker, for several reasons: It may not be a bug after all and you will get advice how to proceed; developer time is precious and a discussion here in the forum will produce far better tickets; you may be offered a workaround until the bug is fixed.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

and I still think bolded text is a good way to go.
Yeah, if shouting doesn't work, shout louder !

Agree with Chris , making it conditional invites folks to ignore it.