Pocket goes bad

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik503

Pocket goes bad

Post by yorik503 »

Hi,

could you please explain why pocket operation does strange stuff to a body: it becomes black and the pocket got cut on side instead of being in the center. Please see attached picture and project. I tried several times, even use a cube from Part workbench, still it behaves wrong.
bad_pocket.png
bad_pocket.png (42.61 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Details:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.8.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

Thank you for the help!
Attachments
bad_pocket.FCStd
(22.81 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Pocket goes bad

Post by drmacro »

In Sketch001 where the arc and the upper horizontal are creating an acute edge and creating a convergence issue.

If you apply an perpendicular constraint between these two then al is good.
Attachments
bad_pocket_constraint.png
bad_pocket_constraint.png (152.15 KiB) Viewed 393 times
bad_pocket_good.png
bad_pocket_good.png (156.12 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
yorik503

Post by yorik503 »

drmacro, thank you so much, your advice helps!

Am I right that even if I would want to have sharp edge similar to that it will problematic? In real project I'm trying to do, I get sharp edge, but I can survive without it.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

drmacro wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 pm In Sketch001 where the arc and the upper horizontal are creating an acute edge and creating a convergence issue.

If you apply an perpendicular constraint between these two then al is good.
Although that does appear to resolve the issue , it is doing so indirectly and is not actually the problem.
yorik503 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:33 pm Am I right that even if I would want to have sharp edge similar to that it will problematic?
All I had to do was recompute the whole document without changing anything and it worked. Update your FreeCAD to the latest dev snap shot of 0.19 since it now has well over 6 thousand bug fix and new feature commits of code. It is way better than 0.18 and there is just no point in continuing with the older version.

As a general rule, you should always fully constraint your sketches, otherwise you have not fully described your object and you are more likely to have these strange issues. Unless you put it there for some other reason, there is no need for the construction circle in this sketch, you could have just directly constrained the arc with a radius or diameter constraint.

Version: 0.19.daily PPA
Branch: unknown
Hash: 20649ec5292a31279f5593eccee2c5cd106bb099
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
yorik503

Post by yorik503 »

jmaustpc wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am All I had to do was recompute the whole document without changing anything and it worked. Update your FreeCAD to the latest dev snap shot of 0.19 since it now has well over 6 thousand bug fix and new feature commits of code. It is way better than 0.18 and there is just no point in continuing with the older version.
I tried that and it worked sometimes on that simplified example, but didn't work on my real project. I'll try to install 0.19, but I'm using debian and wasn't able to find easy instruction how to do that. I hope ubuntu package will work.
jmaustpc wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am As a general rule, you should always fully constraint your sketches, otherwise you have not fully described your object and you are more likely to have these strange issues. Unless you put it there for some other reason, there is no need for the construction circle in this sketch, you could have just directly constrained the arc with a radius or diameter constraint.
The sketch was fully constraint in the real project, but it didn't affected the issue, so I didn't bother to do that in the example.
yorik503

Post by yorik503 »

I tried that with 0.19 from ubuntu and I got the same behavior again. But recompute helps always, I think.

Version I tried:
Version: 0.19.
Branch: unknown
Hash: 8d73c8f07fcbcb659cf073686fcf5149d31ec7ca
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.14.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)