Can I Pad a sketch without applying constraints?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
makemaker

Can I Pad a sketch without applying constraints?

Post by makemaker »

I'm creating a sketch (FreeCAD 0.18) over an image that I want to extrude (pad) to create a raised feature that I can use on my 3d printer. I've used polylines to create the sketch but really don't want to go back and create constraints for all 768 points on the sketch. Is there a way to tell Sketcher to just constrain the points by whatever I clicked on the screen?
heda
Veteran

Re: Can I Pad a sketch without applying constraints?

Post by heda »

what happens if you just try it? (pad it that is)
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

makemaker wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:32 am Is there a way to tell Sketcher to just constrain the points by whatever I clicked on the screen?
The "Lock position" constraint is what you want. It's a little Padlock logo.

This will constrain whatever point you click completely.
makemaker

Post by makemaker »

Thanks all. I think I just had something funky with my sketch. I thought the little red exclamation point icon next to the sketch meant there was a constraint issue (becuase I hadn't defined any) but I started over an am able to pad it fine now. I don't know what I did differently (toggled autocontraint checkbox maybe?) other than select my geometry a little more carefully when joining lines.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

To answer your question: yes
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Polyline works independent from autoconstraints, i.e. the geometric elements are always connected. You cannot pad a sketch without any constraints, unless it is a circle. You need at least coincidence constraints connecting the geometric elements.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:42 pm Polyline works independent from autoconstraints, i.e. the geometric elements are always connected. You cannot pad a sketch without any constraints, unless it is a circle. You need at least coincidence constraints connecting the geometric elements.
Ok, if you want to be specific. ;)

You can pad a sketch without any dimensional constraints as long as it meets the minimum requirements for a pad-able sketch.

That is:
  • it must be a closed profile. i.e. all end vertices must be coincident (this is the only required constraint (a geometrical constraint), it defines a closed profile)
  • the profile can not have self intersections or T junctions
  • there can only be one level of nesting if there are multiple closed profiles.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:08 pm ;)
Please don't be annoyed. I didn't point this out as some wise guy, but rather because otherwise we might have to justify why sketches don't pad with all constraints removed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:24 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:08 pm ;)
Please don't be annoyed. I didn't point this out as some wise guy, but rather because otherwise we might have to justify why sketches don't pad with all constraints removed.
No annoyance at all. :) Didn't mean to appear that way.

I did leave out pertinent details and that, when answering questions here, is a bad thing. So, I figured I'd clarify.
IanP

Post by IanP »

I have to admit that creating a pad from a sketch is a lot more cumbersome in 0.19 than previous versions.
I can't work out what has changed (so won't submit a fault) but there are a lot more error messages along the lines of invalid constraint and broken sketch than I have ever seen.
At the moment my best guess is that something is broken in the auto-constraint module.