Draft Menu Bug

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Site Admin

Re: Draft Menu Bug

Postby yorik » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:05 pm

On launchpad all the build structure is recreated from scratch each time, so this is not needed anyway...
But I believe Werner's latest commit will solve the problem...
andykirby2

Postby andykirby2 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Yeah packaging is non trivial. I did a bunch on a regular basis in a previous life. It is so un-trivial you can fall into it forever and never get any thing else done let alone real development.

Thanks for the downgrade tip. I will hang on till the PPA's start turning out functional code again. As my PC's are not setup for developing FreeCAD it is a good test of whether other non developy folk (That want the newer features) can work with it. Still waiting for the Assembly module to fill out in the PPA version.

I have been using the development compiled PPA for going on a year or so and must say for the most part it has been pretty excellent. When stuff breaks (Which is expected) I usually wait a day or two before feeding back that it is broken purely as there has pretty much always been more good things coming down the pipe. It is unusual for it to be this broken for this long.

There again everyone is entitled to the xmas/new year break, even developers.

Thanks guys.
andykirby2

Postby andykirby2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 am

OK latest update.

I put on the latest PPA package that was rebuilt since yesterday. It did have a dependency for libshiboken1.1 which got installed (Needed a dist-upgrade no idea why but it did, a standard upgrade holds the install back).

But no pyside.

I will have to wait till I get to my other machine at work tomorrow to see if the new PPA version fixes the sip problem. If I manually install pyside on this one I won't be able to tell when the dependency is added and working.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 am

andykirby2 wrote:I will have to wait till I get to my other machine at work tomorrow to see if the new PPA version fixes the sip problem. If I manually install pyside on this one I won't be able to tell when the dependency is added and working.
Your package manager will tell you what the dependencies are for any given package. Note that there are dependencies and "recommended". It is possible to have your package manager set to automatically install "recommended" packages but mostly it is not set that way by default.

A package that FreeCAD can OPTIONALLY use to extend its functionality in some way, would be set as a "recommended" package not usually as a "dependency". Installation of dependencies is compulsory but recommends are optional.

If you install any program, have a look at its "recommends" and consider installing them as well.

Jim
andykirby2

Postby andykirby2 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Ok a little late but better than never, done working for the day.

The PPA freecad works OK now so the sip error is fixed fine if pyside etc is installed.

But pyside is not set up as a dependancy in the package as yet.

So trying to use the compiled PPA package without manually installing pyside gives this version of Freecad:-

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3012 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: ca3b87a719825ad4065b47ade7b472e1f67dd134
Python version: 2.7.5+
Qt version: 4.8.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.5.0

Opening up the report view and then selecting the drawing workbench no toolbar appears and the following error appears in the report view.

During initialization the error No module named PySide occurred in /usr/lib/freecad/Mod/Plot/InitGui.py
No module named PySide

If the draft workbench is then selected similarly no toolbar and the following error in the report view:-

Error: PySide not found, Draft workbench will be disabled.
Draft workbench activated

Which manually installing pyside will fix.

It is quite do-able to manually install it, it is also possible to add it to the package as jim suggests as a recommends. But as freecad won't work without it, it could really do with being added as a dependency.

I though it worth documenting here as anyone else trying to use the PPA who doesn't know is going to fall over the same thing.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 pm

andykirby2 wrote:it could really do with being added as a dependency.
Yes I think so too. There are more and more modules depending on it
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 am

I just had a quick look at the python-pyside package. I'm a little taken aback at the fact that going from PyQt to PySide requires a LOT more packages than we used to. python-pyside is a metapackage that installs 14 packages. :?

In FreeCAD's debian control file, almost all dependencies are developement (*-dev) packages. But I've looked and it seems there is no dev package that we could add to the deps that would automatically add python-pyside. I would have expected libpyside-dev to do so. So I guess we will have no choice but to add it since it is essential to the good working of FreeCAD.