Mirroring a part -> shape does not intersect support

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tamasgal

Mirroring a part -> shape does not intersect support

Post by tamasgal »

I am very new to FreeCAD and I guess I am overcomplicating things and the root of my problem is the wrong approach, so feel free to suggest a better (correct) way to implement what I am trying to ;)

I want to create a 3D model of an assortment box and the joins of the walls are too fragile when 3D-printed so I decided to add a small triangular "edge". For the vertical edges, I used a base shape and created a radius and then padded the whole thing in Z, that works fine as you can see in the sketches. However, I could not figure out an easy way to create a similar shape on the bottom, so this is what I did:

- Create a new part and draw a triangle in Sketch Mode (the tiny thing in the lower right part of the whole box)
- Create a pad of this tiny triangle with the length of the box (this is already annoying since I have no reference to the original shape and cannot use "pad -> to last face"
- Create a datum plane in the middle (also annoying since hardcoded offset and no reference to whatsoever)
- Mirror the pad to the other side

This however gives me that transparent red shape and an error: One transformed edge does not intersect support (Transformation failed).

I searched around but I am very confused about the explanations and could not make a sense of my situation.

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong? Alternatively, as written above, I am glad to hear how to solve this issue in a more elegant way. I also tried to attach a new sketch to the front of the box but it did not let me do so. I guess I am missing a lot of conceptional understanding...

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 13.32.14.png
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 13.32.14.png (390.9 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 13.32.02.png
Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 13.32.02.png (384.9 KiB) Viewed 816 times
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: Mirroring a part -> shape does not intersect support

Post by HarryGeier »

HI,

i would have created a fillet or chamfer on the inner edges.

even better would have been to créate the corner thicking directly in the sketch from which the walls are padded.

To find the exact error, you should upload your file for a review

Harry.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Mirroring a part -> shape does not intersect support

Post by kisolre »

Why did you create a new Part and then a new Body under it instead of continuing to modify your original Box? Sketch004, Pad003 and DatumPlane should all have been inside Box and then the Mirror will also succeed.