[bug 4543] [crash] on applying fillet or chamfer

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[bug 4543] [crash] on applying fillet or chamfer

Post by uwestoehr »

I get crashes on applying fillets. Maybe it is an OCC but, thus the question if anybody can reproduce this.

- take this example file:
Crash-MA-V1.FCStd
testcase
(127.36 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
- follow these steps:
screencast
screencast
5i7D9wFm0u.gif (267.94 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

It is important to use the "Left" view then select the lower right edge as in the screencast (Edge 25), with other edges it won't crash.

EDIT: The crash also occurs when I apply a chamfer to this edge.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23704 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 33ec7fb3e72d6817e7f09216f9b334e5defa9443
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Last edited by uwestoehr on Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: [crash] on applying fillet or chamfer

Post by papyblaise »

You have to better constrain your sketches
you want to have coplanar faces (I think) so the faces must be connected without steps
and do "refine = true"
Attachments
fillet done.FCStd
(84.03 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
fillet.PNG
fillet.PNG (111.37 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Fillets follow tangent edges. Here the next edge from the previous fillet ends tangent to bottom surface and can not be filleted. Reversing the order of fillets should work. Of course crashing OCC should not crash FreeCAD but that is another topic.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

kisolre wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:45 pm Of course crashing OCC should not crash FreeCAD but that is another topic.
I don't understand. The fillet is possible, I just filleted another edge, then I can fillet the problematic edge in a second fillet step without problems:
FreeCAD_Co58CL6EEw.png
FreeCAD_Co58CL6EEw.png (275.59 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
(This trick works always for me when I see that a 0.1 mm fillet cannot be applied.)

What I don't understand is why FC crashes. So as you wrote, even when OCC crashes, FC must not crash too but issue an error message. And here I see an illegal storage access so the question is what storage is accesses that probably does no longer exists.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

I reported this now as issue #4543 since when working a lot with fillets you get crashes all the times making it very frustrating to work with FC.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:38 am I reported this now as issue #4543 since when working a lot with fillets you get crashes all the times making it very frustrating to work with FC.
Have you done any looking into ways of resolving this? I don't want to duplicate efforts if you are already working on it.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chennes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:28 pm Have you done any looking into ways of resolving this? I don't want to duplicate efforts if you are already working on it.
No and I fear I won't find time soon. If you could have a look, I would be very happy. :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:38 am I reported this now as issue #4543
We have quite some tickets on crashes applying fillets. If I find the time I will check them for duplicates. I guess there is nothing special on this one?
In a comment from Werner he says that not much can be done. From another post which I couldn't find yet I remember that even for catching this error it needs a different architecture of calling the geometric kernel.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 pm In a comment from Werner he says that not much can be done.
I am still buried in OCC code, but we certainly can't actually do anything about the bug itself. OCC is trying to find the edge where two faces mate together, at a point where it is guaranteed that the faces do mate, and the operation is failing to provide an edge. But the code simply assumes that it worked and goes forward. It may be that we can test for that failure manually before doing the fillet, I have not tried, and don't really know how.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chennes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 pm I am still buried in OCC code, but we certainly can't actually do anything about the bug itself.
Thanks for having a look.
Yes, as Werner said, the crash itself is in OCC and cannot be avoided. But what must be possible, I hope, is that FC can detect this crash.

It may be that we can test for that failure manually before doing the fillet
Yes, this was also my thought. OCC can fail so we must check if OCC could create the fillet and only then move on, otherwise abort/undo the operation.