Touched (but must be executed)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
andykirby2

Touched (but must be executed)

Post by andykirby2 »

Guys

How do I execute something ??

I have a 2d sheet drawing (A3) of some parts with dimensions etc. This part is fine as it goes.

The sheet information block won't update though

I have opened up the data view and replaced the Editable Strings with what I need to show up in the information block but the drawing is still showing the old strings.

Placing the mouse over the page symbol (Which now has a tick on it) the status bar shows "Touched (but must be executed)". There is nothing coming up in the report view like error codes or some such to help with this.

I am assuming that there is some way of executing the changes that I am missing.

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3052 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 88ff8076cdbcca2a52c13f40d1cb14df220b3c55
Python version: 2.7.5+
Qt version: 4.8.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.4

PS Saving and reopening the doc makes no difference it is still showing the old strings.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Touched (but must be executed)

Post by jmaustpc »

The double arrows button immediately to the left of the workbench drop down list, if it is not greyed out, click that.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

After changing the editable text, like Jim said, hit the recompute button. It looks like this. -

If that wont do it, post back as there could be something else wrong.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
andykirby2

Post by andykirby2 »

That worked fine thanks guys.

Must admit I never needed to do this before now. When tweaking placemnt etc in the View and Data sections it updated as I worked.

This feels a little hit and miss too. I cant increment say the x placement value and see the part slide across the screen anymore I have to click on another parameter and come back for it to pick the change up. As differences go it is a touch trivial and it looks like the developers have more pressing things on at the moment.

Thanks for the pointer to the update arrows.

Cheers
andykirby2

Post by andykirby2 »

Ulp looks like I spoke too quick

After executing the changes to the information box the dimensions i had placed on the drawing have disapeared.....
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

can you post the file?
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
andykirby2

Post by andykirby2 »

Interesting.

After a bit more playing it looks like updating the info box lost the dimensions. But is I modify one fo the dimension parameters (to anything and back to what it was) and then execute the modified one reappears.

If I did'nt know any better (And I don't) I would be thinking that something in the event chain that used to do executes' is'nt any more. A well as only certain parts being updated when it is run.

Curious.
andykirby2

Post by andykirby2 »

Here's the file.
Attachments
PlattenRoller.fcstd
(53.61 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

andykirby2 wrote:That worked fine thanks guys.

Must admit I never needed to do this before now. When tweaking placemnt etc in the View and Data sections it updated as I worked.

This feels a little hit and miss too. I cant increment say the x placement value and see the part slide across the screen anymore I have to click on another parameter and come back for it to pick the change up. As differences go it is a touch trivial and it looks like the developers have more pressing things on at the moment.

Thanks for the pointer to the update arrows.

Cheers
That's because there are two types of auto update in FreeCAD, you would probably find if you hit enter it would have updates or if you had change one parameter and then clicked on another.

One type of update changes the output as you adjust the numbers/input fields, So e.g. Part Box click on Height as you click on the up one value arrow the box will start to grow. However if the render/recalculate takes a while then this is painful, so there is another auto update method that only updates AFTER the data in entered.
andykirby2

Post by andykirby2 »

Hmmm

Just tried the same move to make another of the dimensions visible which worked but it lost the original one i had made visible just before.

Could be paint/update order maybe ??