Draft workbench tools resizing FreeCAD main window

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Draft workbench tools resizing FreeCAD main window

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi guys

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3054 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: cd5977b7217fbbac8db2e201ced1db5c55577463
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0

when I select a Draft tool it resizes the FreeCAD main window to a specific minimum size depending on the tool.

Line, circle, Wire, Bspline are different, and the last two make the window too big for my monitor.

These resizing events only happen if FreeCAD is not already at full screen. Hence I normally don't notice them.
FreeCAD seems to a a minimum window size that is less than 1/4 of my screen. If I drag FreeCAD down to this minimum size the Line or Circle make the window a little bit bigger by slightly different amounts, but wire makes it wider than my screen and Bspline even slightly wider again.

I have dual monitors, I normally operate FreeCAD at full screen on one monitor whilst I do whatever else on the other. Hence I don't know if this is a new bug or if its been around a while.

This is in KDE 4.12.0, using Nouveau drivers. I believe "KDE settings" is working as a front end using RandR to handle the dual monitor set up.

Is this a bug, feature gone crazy and/or a side effect?

Jim
quick61
Veteran

Re: Draft workbench tools resizing FreeCAD main window

Post by quick61 »

Hey Jim, using a single monitor I have no such issues no matter what I do. Draft, or any other workbench, window size stays. Is FreeCAD the only app that is doing this?

Mark

Version: 0.14.3054 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: cd5977b7217fbbac8db2e201ced1db5c55577463
Python version: 2.7.5+
Qt version: 4.8.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Yes Mark it is only FreeCAD.....
But it certainly is possible that it is related to my dual monitor setup/nouveau/Nvidia GPU etc.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

In the past we had a similar behaviour where when creating a document the main window was resized. The problem appeared to be a new habit of SoQt. When creating a viewer widget without passing a parent object SoQt handles it as a top-level window and thus does the resize.

Not sure, if or how this issue can be related to this fact. Maybe you can dig out an older SoQt version (1.4.2 or so) and rebuild it and FreeCAD.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_m ... r.cpp#L117
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:In the past we had a similar behaviour where when creating a document the main window was resized. The problem appeared to be a new habit of SoQt. When creating a viewer widget without passing a parent object SoQt handles it as a top-level window and thus does the resize.

Not sure, if or how this issue can be related to this fact. Maybe you can dig out an older SoQt version (1.4.2 or so) and rebuild it and FreeCAD.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_m ... r.cpp#L117
Werner I was thinking about that other bug but it seems to be gone for me, I had to change my default workbench away from Start WB, because it would stuff up the display as well, I tried it again a few weeks back and that bug was still there so I kept using Part wb as my default....but just now I tried Start WB as default again and it seems to be functioning fine.

I just look and my package manager doesn't offer me an older version of soqt, so I would have to build it. I will try tomorrow, its really very late here now, well actually really, really, early. 3:20 a.m. :)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

jmaustpc wrote:Yes Mark it is only FreeCAD.....
But it certainly is possible that it is related to my dual monitor setup/nouveau/Nvidia GPU etc.
Happens on my laptop too.

Some tools (DWire,bSpline,BezCurve,others??) have so many options that the draftToolBar gets wider than the window. Usually (not always I think) the window shrinks again after the tool is closed.

Could take the text out of the icons to make them narrower, maybe? Use 2 rows of options? Have a ">>" button to expand the toolbar?

edit: If you use the taskview interface mode for Draft WB, you probably will never see this problem.

wf

Version: 0.14.3046 (Git)
Branch: oldstate
Hash: fe979f6882418850ce18d566d2606324b58230e6
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.6.0
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wandererfan wrote:Happens on my laptop too.

Some tools (DWire,bSpline,BezCurve,others??) have so many options that the draftToolBar gets wider than the window. Usually (not always I think) the window shrinks again after the tool is closed.

Could take the text out of the icons to make them narrower, maybe? Use 2 rows of options? Have a ">>" button to expand the toolbar?

edit: If you use the taskview interface mode for Draft WB, you probably will never see this problem.

wf
You're right I missed that, I think you might be right, its resizing to allow for the tool bar. It does not do this if I switch to taskview mode and restart FreeCAD. However it still works in full screen mode....I'll test some more tomorrow.

Jim
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Actually that is exactly why I began to drop the toolbar in favor of the taskview (which is now default for new freecad installs), there begins to be many, many tools... Indeed removing some texts when in toolbar mode might be a good solution...