tracing images (request ?)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HSB

tracing images (request ?)

Post by HSB »

Hi,
I am new to FeeCAD (and CAD in general) and to this forum, so please excuse me if my questions are a bit silly.
I use freecad to make stuff on my new reprap and very often "stuff" is lost coverplates, caps and such.
What I do now is make a sketch, print it, adjust and print again until it fits. On intricate designs that is not very efficient.

What would be nice is if one could add a background image to the sketch document (scalable to match the grid and adjustable opacity to see the grid) so that it could be traced. I have tried to search the web and this forum for such a feature but to no avail.
Is there such a feature in freecad ?

If there isn't, is there any hope it could be implemented ?
Also, it would be nice if the 10mm grid could be marked on the finer grids to aid in counting.

By the way, thanks to those who have made this awesome software and all of you who have contributed with ideas and tips in this forum.

Regards,
HSB
HSB

Re: tracing images (request ?)

Post by HSB »

Thank you, that hit the spot.
I did a good job on missing that one.

Regards,
HSB
NormandC
Veteran

Re: tracing images (request ?)

Post by NormandC »

Since that feature already exists in FreeCAD, I'm moving this post to the Help forum.

Be aware that the stable version of FreeCAD (0.13.1830) has a bug that will make using a background image with the Sketcher less than productive. issue #971

It was solved back in mid-october 2013 and will be included in the next stable version.

If you can't use a recent development version, I recommend as a workaround not creating dimensional constraints until your sketch closely fits your background image.