Automatically update assembly4 assemblies

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Anno Me Nuehm

Automatically update assembly4 assemblies

Post by Anno Me Nuehm »

Hi,

I have got a piece whit is comprising of several assembly4 sub-assemblies.

All the relevant variables are stored in a spreadsheet document by the name of "parameter".

The main/master assembly joins three sub-assemblies:

:: a top piece;
:: a body piece; --and--
:: a bottom piece.

Each of these sub-assemblies consists of further sub-assemblies respectively.

By creating individual components,joining those to sub-assemblies, and the latter ones to yet another assemblies, I created a hierarcy of assembly5 models.

Each of these model comes along with a set of variables,some of which are referencing variables of the parameter spreadsheet, others are only defined within their respecive assembly4 documents/models.

When changing a variable in the master parameter spreadsheet, this change is not automatically propagated throughout the whole hierarchy. Instead I have to manually update the variables of each relevant sub-assemblies, followed by manually updating the corresponding model.

Close attention has to be paid to the order of these manual steps carried out, starting at the very bottom of the hierarchy, working my way up thoough the tree, until reaching the master assembly/model.

Is there any option of automating this process, say by updating the master parameters, then re-computing the master model, and by doing so all the linked sub-assemblies are getting automaticlally updated accordingly?

My setup comprises of

:: an Apple Mac mini M1;
:: macOS Big Sur;
:: FreeCAD 0.19.14555 (Git shallow);
:: Assembly4 0.9.13, 2020-12-01.

--
Anno
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Automatically update assembly4 assemblies

Post by Kunda1 »

Anno Me Nuehm wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:38 pm :: FreeCAD 0.19.14555 (Git shallow);
This version of 0.19 is very old. Latest is 0.19.23756
Also, next time please add you full About info
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Anno Me Nuehm

Post by Anno Me Nuehm »

Issue is when downloading the most recent version from the FC website, it won't startup properly, will get stuck during the launch, as apparently FC is relying on OpenGL which Apple decided to remove starting with macOS Big Sur.

Homebrew on my Apple Silicon/M1-based Mac mini won't let me pull the latest version available there, only Conda did work, but as it seems to be the case only with a kind of dated version of FC.

I've even tried to compile FC from the sources, but here again the OpenGL issue kicked in.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Vejmarie has worked on that. Search the forum and you'll find the appropriate thread. Can't atm since I'm not at my machine to post it
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs