I love what I believe FreeCad could do, but unfortunately, I'm not an architect, or PE. I haven't even had a CAD class. Nonetheless, I'm wanting to use FreeCad at least initially for doing a simple printer stand out of wood. For an open source project, this is incredibly well documented. Still, some details are missing. I'm trying to follow this tutorial:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Creating_a_ ... PartDesign
I'm using Linux FC 30 with a MS mouse having a left and right button, and a scroll wheel that seems to act as a middle button.
I would request whoever writes the tutorials to say which specific button to click rather than saying just "click". Also, when I'm drawing a line, I learned you have to press Ctrl to get it to work, but that wasn't mentioned on this guide.
I'm having these problems that I request help with:
* My problem is that the grid keeps changing from 10mm to 4mm. Even worse, it keeps hiding all of the grid lines except for those near the lines that have already been drawn. This happens after the first line segment has been drawn. The problem is that it makes it hard to find the next point to plot.
* I got the 30 degree constraint added, but it extended the diagonal beyond the y axis to form an angle to work with.
* I wish I could just tell it the line length or type in the point coordinates. Dragging a line is hard to get right, especially when FreeCad hides the needed gridlines.
* If I need to move the point because I made a mistake, how can I move just one point on a line segment?
* I'd like to set that 50mm constraint along the X axis, but this is really more like a constraint put on a dashed/imaginary line.
* Separately, If I want to make a blueprint of a slice of the 3D diagram, what should I read more about?
Thank you for reading, and help on any one or all of the above. I've used the product enough to see it works really well once you know what you're doing.