Importing IPT files

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Chriske

Importing IPT files

Post by Chriske »

Hey,

I'm new here and wonder if it is possible to import ipt files (Inventor) into FreeCad.
Years ago I was a Win user but Linux does not run Inventor, so I had to install a VM/W7/Inventor on my Linux machine. Inventor is the only reason I need Win7 for. My goal is to dump Win7 altogether and run 100% Linux
My problem is that I cannot abandon Inventor ever. Or maybe there is some software were I can import ipt files into. I'd hoped FC would.
Why I cannot abandon Inventor, well, I have literal a few thousands of Inventor files I've created the last 15 to 20 years so far. There's no possible way I can and will dump these.

Thanks in advance for your reply..
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Importing IPT files

Post by jmaustpc »

can you run it in Wine?
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

There's no exe file to launch Inventor.
In fact there is, but that's only to install Inventor on a Win machine. Installing Inventor will take about 45min. So Wine is out of the question, even POL is not capable running Inventor.
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

Chriske wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 am Hey,
I'm new here and wonder if it is possible to import ipt files (Inventor) into FreeCad.
Years ago I was a Win user but Linux does not run Inventor, so I had to install a VM/W7/Inventor on my Linux machine. Inventor is the only reason I need Win7 for. My goal is to dump Win7 altogether and run 100% Linux
My problem is that I cannot abandon Inventor ever. Or maybe there is some software were I can import ipt files into. I'd hoped FC would.
Why I cannot abandon Inventor, well, I have literal a few thousands of Inventor files I've created the last 15 to 20 years so far. There's no possible way I can and will dump these.
Thanks in advance for your reply..
Hi,
maybe you want to try the inventor loader. Installation with addon-manager. See also this thread in forum.
alternative export the files in inventor to step and import it in freecad

regards
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Inventor Loader is not working.
The addon tries to open .iv file, but Inventor saves ipt files, not .iv files
lukasubo

Post by lukasubo »

Chriske wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 am
Save them as STEP files. You can also make a free GrabCAD workbench account and upload them (workbench allows you to have private repositories). Then you can use the workbench website to download them as STEP files.
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

Chriske wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:59 am Inventor Loader is not working.
The addon tries to open .iv file, but Inventor saves ipt files, not .iv files
If you follow the link to the repo the first sentence of the readme says

Code: Select all

Loads/Imports: Autodesk (R) Inventor (R) files into FreeCAD (v0.17 or greater).
Until now only Parts (IPT) but not assemblies (IAM) or drawings (IDW) or presentations (IPN) can be displayed.
If you look at the forum thread 14 pages deal with the topic Inventor and ipt files.
I installed the plugin out of pure curiosity. I found an entry for the import of ipt-files but I also have the ".iv" entry as default.

Regards
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Indeed, I see there's one to open ipt files but still can't open a file. It's not even a complex one, it's a little block that has 5 holes in it.
Error message :
val, = UINT32(data, offset)
struct.error: unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 126 bytes for unpacking 4 bytes at offset 122 (actual buffer size is 122)

Any ideas..?
Thanks.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Chriske wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:29 am Indeed, I see there's one to open ipt files but still can't open a file. It's not even a complex one, it's a little block that has 5 holes in it.
Error message :
val, = UINT32(data, offset)
struct.error: unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 126 bytes for unpacking 4 bytes at offset 122 (actual buffer size is 122)

Any ideas..?
Thanks.
Suggest you post the file that fails. ( Zip if forum does not like file extension )
Report View should also provide more details of where the val= UNIT(data, offset) is
Chriske

Post by Chriske »

Gob-angle-corner-b-V2.ipt.zip
(404.87 KiB) Downloaded 260 times