How do I make a design layout?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mark H Hoper

How do I make a design layout?

Postby Mark H Hoper » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:34 am

I have parts created in two different part design, how do I make my layout. Parts designed together. In Parts? If so how? Tutorial would help. Can't seem to find one.
chrisb

Re: How do I make a design layout?

Postby chrisb » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:48 am

Mark H Hoper wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:34 am
I have parts created in two different part design, how do I make my layout. Parts designed together. In Parts? If so how?
If I understand you right, then you have created two PartDesign bodies, and now you want to arrange them relative to each other.
That is something for one of the Assembly addons, A2plus, Assembly3 or Assembly4. The numbers don't describe different levels of evolution though, they are rather different approaches.

If you want to build this using only the core system, you can construct things right in place e.g. by using PartDesign ShapeBinders, or you arrange things with the help of Expressions.

For more help you should show us more of what you are heading for and what you have reached so far.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman

Postby freedman » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:34 am

There is also File-Merge project.
It's best to lets us know what you modeling.
Brutha

Postby Brutha » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:27 am

Mark H Hoper wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:34 am
I have parts created in two different part design, how do I make my layout. Parts designed together. In Parts? If so how? Tutorial would help. Can't seem to find one.
I normally assemble things using the "Part" object rather than the assembly workbenches (no doubt I will switch once they become a bit more robust though).

You can add the bodies to a part object, and also include nested arrangements of parts to group things as needed. Use the "placement" property of the part objects to move things to the correct position.
Mark H Hoper

Postby Mark H Hoper » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:46 pm

What I would like to see is a flow chart from layout to fab drawing including fab assembly (riveted or spot welded sub assembly) and through to the final assembly. Also printing out the drawing. Where would I find something like that, including tutorials. Maybe I need to get in touch with a tutorial designer and make that suggestion.
I have tried to designed two parts with in part design but it won't revolve the second part. Is there a way to hide the first part? Is there way to have a completely different part. I mean so it has its own out line in the view to the left. I have two parts within there own part design can they be moved into a part workbench or part design workbench?
As you can see I'm lost. I have a good design In my head and I don't have time to learn this software. Thank you. My email address is mhhoper@gmail.com. Please help!