I have very hard time learning FreeCad.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: I have very hard time learning FreeCad.

Post by drmacro »

The ZX80 was based on the Z80 processor. They "locked" the BIOS. If you dumped the ROM it appeared scrambled...unless you figured out the "encryption" scheme was swapping 2 of the data lines.

Don't ask how I know. :mrgreen:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX80
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wagnerlip wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:01 am When I started it in 1973 was my dads "dark-gray & light-gray" TV with a RF adapter to channel 3, punched by a ZX80 SInclair.
According to drmacro's link you must have had a very early prerelease. Anyway, it was ages ago and the radiocarbon dating isn't really that precise :lol: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jadory

Post by jadory »

bambuko wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:31 pm When I started with computers, all screens were black with greenish text :mrgreen:
Ultimately - use it if you like it... if not than leave things as they are ;)
There were screens? When I started it was punch cards and tractor feed paper. I did graduate to black screens and amber text, eventually.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jadory wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:01 pm
bambuko wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:31 pm When I started with computers, all screens were black with greenish text :mrgreen:
Ultimately - use it if you like it... if not than leave things as they are ;)
There were screens? When I started it was punch cards and tractor feed paper. I did graduate to black screens and amber text, eventually.
your paper tape had tractor feed? we had to pull our tape by hand...no, I'm serious, we pulled the tape through the reader. 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jadory

Post by jadory »

drmacro wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:06 pm
your paper tape had tractor feed? we had to pull our tape by hand...no, I'm serious, we pulled the tape through the reader. 8-)
:lol: You win. You must be really old! :D

Any abacus users here? I did get real familiar with slide rules.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jadory wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:07 pm
drmacro wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:06 pm
:lol: You win. You must be really old! :D

Any abacus users here? I did get real familiar with slide rules.
old enough to have known baudot code before I learned ASCII. 😎
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jadory wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:07 pm Any abacus users here?
I have once visited a chinese restaurant and could get a view into the kitchen. There sat a woman who did the bookkeeping. She used an abacus, with a speed, that would have been impossible to reach with an electronic calculator.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Hehe, I see that Word still uses those new-fangled non-floppy floppy disks for the save icon - and checking FreeCAD I see something that looks like a hard drive, properly modern that is!
David ONeil

Post by David ONeil »

Don't know if this will help the OP, but I've only been playing with FreeCAD for 3 days. Tried following an example YouTube vid and it was driving me nuts. The vid was for 0.16, and I was using 0.18. Was going to post a question here, but figured out a key part: MAKE (almost?) EVERYTHING A SEPARATE BODY! And then boolean them together. Yes, it is more mouse clicks, but I finally succeeded after trying several other things to get the tutorial working. Now that I understand that principle, I feel like I could make quite complicated parts. Far more complicated than I though a free program would be capable of! So kudo's to the developers!
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

David ONeil wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:38 pm ... but figured out a key part: MAKE (almost?) EVERYTHING A SEPARATE BODY! And then boolean them together. Yes, it is more mouse clicks, but I finally succeeded after trying several other things to get the tutorial working. Now that I understand that principle, I feel like I could make quite complicated parts. ...
If this is how you use the Part Design Body, then don't. ;) You are just complicating your life.

Just switch to Part workbench. Every object you create is a separate object and has no relationship to other objects until you use a Boolean operation between them.

In Part Workbench you are creating a single cumulative solid in each Body. There are some situations where a Part Design Boolean between 2 Body objects is done, but it is not the "most of the time" workflow. Imagine that each Body object is a piece of an assembly, not pieces to be glued together.