Question about proper building of assemble inside 0.19/0.20

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mdesign

Question about proper building of assemble inside 0.19/0.20

Postby mdesign » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:34 pm

I`m quite a fresh user of Freecad. I watch a lot of YT videos and I read a lot of stuff about Freecad. But I feel that I`m missing some obvious core.

There is a lot of versions/forks/workbenches/addons and I can`t find the answer to my basic question: How should look proper workflow with building assemblies that create some machine/product/design with 0.19 and future 0.2.

I`ve thought that inside of the body group I should have all things related to that body. As a body I mean one closed solid or bunch of surfaces connected together into one object. So if my object has got two closed shells that are separate then I should create it inside two body groups.

So most operations like booleans, thickening, pocketing, arrays should be done over body groups. It may be done also over parts that contain many bodies merged together into one part group.

I don`t get also basic rules of FreeCad. I know that I can`t use object inside of body group which belongs to another body group. I think it is the same with parts. I can`t use an object inside the part group which belongs to another part group.

I understood also that is why are released shape binder features.

There is also some mess in my head with assembles. I`ve heard about A2plus and storing every part in a different file (what is not so fun to change during big projects IMO). There is also Assemble4. But I don`t get there is another way of making assemblies in 0.19 without Assemble4 or it`s only one good way to do that?

Do I miss other basic rules which should be followed in 0.19? Do you know some tutorial which will answer my basic question not how to use sweep or loft but which rules should I follow to successfully create a proper assembly.

thanks for your patience with reading this loong question :)

Cheers!!!
ppemawm

Re: Question about proper building of assemble inside 0.19/0.20

Postby ppemawm » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:56 am

mdesign wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:34 pm How should look proper workflow with building assemblies that create some machine/product/design with 0.19 and future 0.2.
Perhaps this thread will help: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48473
Assembly4 workbench is the simplest IMHO, but extraordinarily powerful if using expressions for constraints.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
mdesign

Re: Question about proper building of assemble inside 0.19/0.20

Postby mdesign » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 am

Thank you very much. You`ve done an amazing job there. Very nice and complex models.