FCCircularText Issues

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FCCircularText Issues

Post by chrisb »

This is how it should look like in the AddonManager, but your manual installation should do as well:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-04 um 08.09.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-04 um 08.09.31.png (63 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
On Execute a dialog should be opened.

I guess there is something wrong with your installation. Check for messages in report view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kajoyner1

Post by kajoyner1 »

chrisb: I apparently extracted the wrong file earlier from the download. When I did it again, I was able to install it manually (though it still did not show up under AddonManager). It is running in FreeCad now and I will attempt to get it to do what I need. Thank you so much!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I had only a subset of all macros available in AddonManager until I installed GitPython on my system.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I have spent several days trying to learn how to use Circular Text. I am starting to understand it and really like what it does. I appreciate the work done to develop it.

I have several questions but I'll send them one at a time so I can make sure each has the relevant information included with the question.

In a post by mario52 Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:40 am post was the comment:

calcul in internal 4 decimal
leoheck wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:13 am
3. After clicking on Run, it is resetting the fields, this is not good when you are experimenting with different designs. )

I think this is a suggestion on how to stop the macro from returning the variables to their default values each time it is run. If so, could you explain further? I still have a lot to learn about Freecad and don't know anything about Python and don't understand the explanation.

I am using Circular Text in "Mode Flat" to place text on outer edge of a flat disk.

I primarily use LinkStage 3 -
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2021.717.24301 +3627 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: f63a5ea7b459872a3798027df0ff25e776524859
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

I also repeated some of the test using the stable release verify that it acted the same. and it did.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

My Circular Text is Ver : 0.20 2021/04/05 (rmu)
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
Dick_Morris wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:46 am 3. After clicking on Run, it is resetting the fields, this is not good when you are experimenting with different designs. )
you have choice Reset or not Reset, by default: Reset all

you work normally with Reset or not Reset if the result is not good or "hieratic" click on Reset button

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Mario,

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't know how I missed that check block.

I notice that when "Not Reset" is used the text alternates between regular and reverse every other time the macro is run in "outdoor" configuration but not in "indoor." That is a small price to pay to avoid entering all the variables each time.

An example of how I used the macro and Shape String for the lettering that will go onto a cover plate. Thank you!
Attachments
lettering reduced.jpg
lettering reduced.jpg (4.62 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
Dick_Morris wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:15 pm the macro is run in "outdoor" configuration but not in "indoor."
work as requested with or without Reset
Dick_Morris wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:15 pm An example of how I used the macro and Shape String for the lettering that will go onto a cover plate. Thank you!
good , one photo when it is finished (for Users Showcase if you want)

i am fan of steam locomotives

4-8-8-4 Big Boy illuminated by Pyle National Electrical Equipment (photo by Fan Railer / Wikipedia)

(photo Wikipedia UP_4014_Gurdon,_Arkansas by Fan Railer)

thanks

EDIT 10/03/2022 18h42 Paris: adding credit of the beautiful photo

mario
Last edited by mario52 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Mario,

I'm involved in the overhaul of a full-sized USATC S-160 locomotive (Alaska Railroad #557) to operation as well as a seemingly endless project to make a 1/8 scale operating model of one. About 2,000 of them went to Europe during WWII. I learned to use Freecad to model a number parts at 1/8 scale So I could cast them in silicon bronze. I've even cast a few small parts for the full-sized locomotive which were also modeled in Freecad. The cover plate is for a working model of a steam generator that I am working on. The Facebook page (which I maintain for the organization) is "557 Restoration Company." I will post a photo of one of the parts I have finished and the generator when it is done.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

j'ai le vertige

i am happy that my little macro is used for this project ... my little contribution
Dick_Morris wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:53 am (Alaska Railroad #557)
this Engine 557 Restoration Company

USATC S-160 locomotive (Didier Duforest/Wikimedia)

Dick_Morris wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:53 am I learned to use Freecad to model a number parts at 1/8 scale So I could cast them in silicon bronze. I've even cast a few small parts for the full-sized locomotive which were also modeled in Freecad.
you must open one post in the Users Showcase or in From FreeCAD To The Real World with FreeCAD project and real creation

mario
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Mario -

That's it. About 16 S-160s remained in the U.S. at military bases and on the Alaska Railroad and most of them were modified at the factory with knuckle couplers, power reverse, pilot ('cow catcher"), air operated fire box door, bell, and electric lights and generators. The stack was also a few inches higher since the bridges and tunnels here have more clearance. This is the builder's photo for the version that met U.S. specifications. Baldwin only did one builder's photo for a class or sub class of locomotive. This one became Alaska Railroad #555.

I posted some photos of my work in the User's Showcase.
Attachments
555.jpg
555.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 1360 times