Part Design Hole - Counterbore diameter and hole margin

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Part Design Hole - Counterbore diameter and hole margin

Post by leoheck »

I am using the latest version of 0.19 (I am going to add this info when I have a chance to get my computer)

Using the standard screw, I cannot set the diameter of the counterbore less than the initial default value anymore. However, if I select another type of screw head, that is smaller than the minimum counterbore, this minimum value does not change when going back to the counterbore.

An extra feature is that I would like to select a standard screw. For instance M3, and then apply a reduction on the whole, so it will work fine when 3d printing this. What I usually do is select the manual screw and then setting the diameter to 3mm * 0.9 to reduce a little bit. So 3 mm is going to be a way to remember that it is M3 and then 0.9 is 90% if it to reduce this whole 10%.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: e8566f22bbeb0b7204e3c45519d0963e8881100b
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Last edited by leoheck on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Part Design Hole - Countertop diameter and hole margin

Post by chrisb »

You are obviously talking about an Addon workbench. Which one is it, Fasteners? Make sure you have the latest version. It doesn't update when FreeCAD does.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Maybe counter-bore?
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Bance wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:57 pm Maybe counter-bore?
Yes, you are right, "counterbore"!

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:27 pm You are obviously talking about an Addon workbench. Which one is it, Fasteners? Make sure you have the latest version. It doesn't update when FreeCAD does.
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

leoheck wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:59 pm Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Forget it, Bance was right with his guess, I was wrong.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Re: Part Design Hole - Counterbore diameter and hole margin

Post by Bance »

I am not using the most up to date FC but I see the same behaviour.

I think the point of using a Std screw is that the other variables are fixed, and that saves time/effort by being filled in automagically.

You need to use the type 'none' then FC allows whatever variables.....

An alternative would be to make a table of your own custom sizes, and add it to the appropriate Mod directory in your set-up.

There was a thread about doing something similar fairly recently Vagalus or Bambuko IIRC.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56106
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Alright. I don't need an workaround.

I am just reporting this is not working fine.

If you are not allowed to change counterbore width, smaller than the default size, the bug happens when you change to a different head style and go back to counterbore which is going to have tje previous head style as the new diameter which may be smaller than the default counterbore diameter

If you are allowed to change this diameter then you have a different bug where it is not possible to reduce the size of this diameter only increase it.

In one way or another there is something wrong happening there.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I'm afraid I'm not an expert on screw sizes or standards, for all I know there is a minimum head size, and hence a minimum counterbore dia. YMMV.

You must check the behaviour in the latest version which is 0.20, if you wish to report a bug!
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

leoheck wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:54 pm I am just reporting this is not working fine.

In one way or another there is something wrong happening there.
As I recall there was a bit of debate on the forum a few months ago. This behavior is by design and is not a "bug". It would not be my choice to rigidly enforce those ISO standards, but that was the decision made by the person who developed this function.

Gene
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Bance wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:31 pm You must check the behaviour in the latest version which is 0.20, if you wish to report a bug!
I am using the latest nightly version released for Ubuntu 20.04. I update software at least twice a day.

GeneFC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 pm This behavior is by design and is not a "bug".
I'm afraid you didn't understand what I am saying, My bad.