a-freecad-manual.pdf

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frcaduser

a-freecad-manual.pdf

Post by frcaduser »

Version: 0.19
Rev #: 24276 (Git)
Rel. Date: 2021/03/11 19:48:53
Operating Sys: Windows 10 Ver. 2004
Word Size: 64-bit
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19

My System:
Windows 10 home
64-bit OS

This is with respect to the a-freecad-manual.pdf tutorial, page 84, section 'Modeling for product design'.
The last two bullet points, it states to create a new rectangle. When I do this per the instructions, the
rectangle disappears any time that I attempt to super impose it over the existing 3D rectangle. Does any
one have an idea why this is happening? All of the steps prior to that were followed to a 't'.

Another error that I came across is on page 82. It states the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, select one of the corner points, then the origin point (which is the dot at the
crossing of the red and green axes), then add a Point-on-Point Constraint. The
rectangle will then jump to the origin point, and your sketch will turn green, meaning
it is now fully constrained.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not observed nor is the 'dot' a selection option. The error that popped up when I tried following the instructions:
"Select either one point and several curves, or one curve and several points. You have selected 0 curves and 2 points."

I also looked in the Sketch -> Sketcher Constraints menu - to no avail. The 'Point-on-Point Constraint' should actually be
titled 'Point-on-Line/Arch Constraint' since this is ultimately what one has to do ... and twice in this case for both the Y
and X axis. Point to point selection combination will not work since per the wiki page instructions one of the two selections
must be either a line, arch, etc., whereby 'etc.' does not include a dot. The icon also needs to be updated in the manual
since it is now a dot within a half moon curve and not an actual 'dot'.
Last edited by frcaduser on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: a-freecad-manual.pdf

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please attach your file and give a link to the document.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 am ...give a link to the document.
https://freecadweb.org/manual/a-freecad-manual.pdf
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

This manual is outdated and fortunately there is not yet a newer one. Part design is changed very much since the writing of this tutorial.
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Hi Chrisb,

I apologize but I actually deleted it as I was just getting familiar with freecad and just testing different 'snippets' if you will.
I also try and not save files that don't work.

Here is the link to the manual per your request:

https://freecadweb.org/manual/a-freecad-manual.pdf

It can also be found in the wiki page here under the section 'manual':

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/

Regards,

frcaduser
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Hi,

I am continuing with the manual. I'm on page 86 where it provides instructions how to create one piece of lego.
I have created the sketch for two circles of radius 3.6 mm and offset them from both sides by 6 mm. After having
done so, it prompts the user to pad the sketches via the icon for pading sketches. When I attempt to perform this
step, I receive the following error:

Pad: Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time.

Can someone please advise what the issue is. I have attached my sketch as an attachment (this time I did not delete
it ;) ).

As a side note, the end game for me is to try to develop my skillset enough with freecad to be able to design a pcb
enclosure along with openings for both a slider and toggle switch. So, creating this lego is right up the alley since it
is similar in that both are tasked with creating cavities on rectangles (just have to calibrate the thickness, roundness,
and dimensions of the sides).

I was also trying to add four pcb mounting stubs to the bottom inside of this cavity/enclosure as an additional activity
but kept getting the same error. Can someone please provide insight how this can be performed.

Thank you to anyone for any help that can be provided.

frcaduser.
Attachments
enclosure_bottom_1.FCStd
(29.34 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Your sketch places the circles in space.
Until they pad far enough to touch the bottom of the box, the pad will result in multiple solids...not allowed in Part Design Body objects.

If you select the pad type as Up to face and select the bottom of the box all is good:
Snip macro screenshot-935c76.png
Snip macro screenshot-935c76.png (129.82 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Hi drmarco,

so based on your response, do these stubs have to be created at the time of creating the sketches and prior to adding 3D dimensionality to the object(s)?

Can you please offer some specifics to your process for obtaining the results in the figure that you provided.

Regards,

frcaduser