How do you create "yellow label text"?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CoryParsnipson

How do you create "yellow label text"?

Post by CoryParsnipson »

Hi,

I have FreeCAD 0.18 with KiCADStepUp as an add-on. I'm trying to make a footprint in FreeCAD and I can't figure out where I can create a new "label text" object. This appears in the object tree as a yellow tag looking icon. This seems to be different from draft text, draft label, and draft annotations.

Here you can see that I've highlighted the object in the tree. This corresponds to the light blue "Value" text in the viewer. In the properties window, it has "Label Text" and "label" and the internal name of the object is Text001.

I have no idea what it's called and I still can't find it by searching Google or going through the StepUp documentation.

Thanks!
Willem
Veteran

Re: How do you create "yellow label text"?

Post by Willem »

Welcome to the forum
The label functions are in the Draft workbench
See this wiki page for all possibilities https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Draft_Label
CoryParsnipson

Post by CoryParsnipson »

Ok, thanks. I tried using both the Draft label text and annotation text tools and it looks like annotation text is really close to what I need, but it was confusing me because the icons are still different.

Do you know why the icons are different? The properties are almost exactly the same except the annotation text that I made has "Placement" instead of "position" that the Value_#0.8mm does. Is this just annotation text made in an older version of FreeCAD?

It is important because I'm using the KiCAD stepup workbench that imports the objects into the KiCAD footprint format and the specific object types and names are used by the automated scripts. I can't seem to get it to recognize the annotation text that I made.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

It is quite probably version specific, but nobody will know until you follow the posting rules will they?
CoryParsnipson

Post by CoryParsnipson »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Thanks for the help, BANCE. Forgive my transgression.

e. I've attached the file I posted an image of earlier. It has one of those yellow tags with the visibility turned off.
Attachments
TL3312NF160Q.FCStd
(13.06 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

AFAIK there is no way to create such an annotation object from the GUI.
You can create it programmatically, for example by pasting this line in the Python console:

Code: Select all

FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.addObject("App::Annotation","MyName")
CoryParsnipson

Post by CoryParsnipson »

I tried adding it through the python command console and indeed it does work for me. Thanks for your help, Roy!

I happened to get a glance of that same icon in a video I was watching recently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpB4VipzXQM) where you can see it in the bottom most bar at the top, two symbols to the left of the create sketch button. In this video he says he's using 0.17 so maybe this annotation object is deprecated in the newer ones.

Thanks again, Roy! I appreciate it.