Invisible Edges invisible

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SpaceCase

Invisible Edges invisible

Post by SpaceCase »

Greetings. How come these Finnys don't show up as dotted lines in Techdraw View?

TempSnip1.PNG
TempSnip1.PNG (23.55 KiB) Viewed 769 times
TempSnip2.PNG
TempSnip2.PNG (36.64 KiB) Viewed 769 times

I have followed the instructions to-the-letter, and wiggled every false-true I could find, but the TechDraw views never change, show no effects.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Thamks.
Attachments
Fanny.FCStd
(61.44 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Invisible Edges invisible

Post by chrisb »

SpaceCase wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm I have followed the instructions to-the-letter
Which instructions?

Set HardHidden to true. You may have to select a darker color to see the hidden lines.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mendy

Post by mendy »

Is this what you are looking for?
If so think you selected bottom of fan and inserted as view in your drawing.
Just a guess.
Attachments
fanny.jpg
fanny.jpg (55.48 KiB) Viewed 752 times
mendy

Post by mendy »

Up date I clicked on your view and changed settings and recompute and it shows the hidden lines below what I think is fan base.
Another option.
Remember for some settings to take effect you may have to hit the recompute button.
Attachments
fanny 2.jpg
fanny 2.jpg (68.83 KiB) Viewed 744 times
SpaceCase

Post by SpaceCase »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

I meant the instructions in the TechDraw manual ...
chrisb wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:52 pm Which instructions?
Are there more somewhere else?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

SpaceCase wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:38 am Are there more somewhere else?
There is the Basic TechDraw Tutorial, there are many forum posts, there are video tutorials, ...

A bit more specific by giving a link would be helpful; either to see it's all there, or to improve the documentation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
SpaceCase

Post by SpaceCase »

Not sure what
chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:48 amgiving a link
means, even whether it's something I give you or you give me. Your idea worked to darken the lines, thank you. Other questions came up, but I have a more pressing issue to put in another Topic first. ' appreciate your help.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

SpaceCase wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am Not sure what
chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:48 amgiving a link
means,
Good to see you got it solved.

I had meant you should have given a link to the corresponding wiki page, when talking about "instructions in the TechDraw manual" or the "instructions to-the-letter".

That makes it easy to have a look at the documentation and correct or extend it if necessary, while I can say for myself that I will not read through all the TechDraw pages to search for what you are talking about.
SpaceCase

Post by SpaceCase »

I have not yet solved the riddle of how to insert a link to external articles or even other Forum Topics. Trouble Navigating the Forum. If I leave this Window to find a Quote, I ofttimes can't get back, if I save a Draft, I don't know how to re-open it except by Poke-and-Hope, which has never worked the same way twice.

This is the first Forum I have ever participated, and I am basically groping in the dark, amid a sea of swirling buzz-words, technical jargon, buttons of mysterious function that sometimes take me far astray and lose everything I just typed. It took me 3 tries to post the "Tree View Management' question, and I discovered some old Drafts I had thought were long ago Posted and forgotten.

I can't find any literature about navigating Forums in general, nor this one in particular.

One problem is, your good-hearted and helpful Team uses words and concepts that should be meaningful to Everyone, except I've been out-of-touch and never heard of them before. I can understand a lot of things, but some things are just completely meaningless, like strings of nonsense words. For example, saying 'give a link' would be much more meaningful if I had more than a vague idea of what a 'link' is, and knew the steps needed to give one, but when I explore it, I go farther and farther astray, and no matter how I structure my Search Queries, I am smothered by thousands of unrelated articles and very rarely pull up anything remotely helpful. I just cringe when people suggest looking through the Forum for help, because every time I try, I just spend sometimes hours flipping through Query returns that do not relate to my intended Query in any way, and then end up posting a question anyway.

So, yes, I would love to insert a link. How is this accomplished?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A link in the forum sense is something you can click on and which leads you to another web page; thus it links the pages. When I ask for a link I mean you copy the so called internet address also known as uri, which has in case of the wiki the form of https://wiki.freecadweb.org/.... Then you insert this into the text of your post.

You can play with the forum posts, if you use the Preview button, so you don't create garbage in the forum.