PathProfile.ERROR: Unable to create path for face(s). List index out of range

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
daddmac

PathProfile.ERROR: Unable to create path for face(s). List index out of range

Post by daddmac »

First, FreeCAD rocks! Thanks much for creating an awesome, powerful, useful product!

Environment
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: e8566f22bbeb0b7204e3c45519d0963e8881100b
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Release date: 2021/03/04 07:28:00

Error Info
12:02:39 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1432): hit bottom -0,1.16755e-15,1e-06
12:02:39 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1312): project failed
12:02:39 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1614): skipped 1 sub shapes during projection
12:02:39 <Path.Area> Area.cpp(1454): empty projection
12:02:39 PathProfile.ERROR: Unable to create path for face(s).
list index out of range

Problem
I used the Part Design WB to create an object (see attached FC file), a "line" formed from a series of curves, with a shape swept along it, and I mirrored the resulting object to form the ring (which looks remarkably like a toilet seat ;) ).

I am using the Path WB to create tool paths:
  • I selected the flat/vertical surfaces between the top and bottom fillets on the inside of the ring, and created a profile operation. This operation works as expected.
  • I did the same thing for the outside. This operation does nothing, and prints the Error Info to the "Report view".
  • I recreated both ops in reverse order and as a single op, each with the same results.
I need to call out that, IIRC, this was originally on the YZ plane. I modified the drawing so the ring would be correctly oriented for the CNC ops. In case it is a good place to start, I don't have a good understanding of how the plane designation relates to the coordinates the object data, and accomplished this mostly by trial and error. :oops:

I very much welcome any and all critiques, clues, guidance, and links that might help me find an answer to creating a working tool path, including modifying the sketches or methods used to create the ring object.

Thanks all!
Attachments
testseatslope.FCStd
(122.12 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
daddmac

Re: PathProfile.ERROR: Unable to create path for face(s). List index out of range

Post by daddmac »

Summary:
When I created a tool path of a swept (sweeping?) profile and path, and their lines in the sketch converged, I was unable create a tool path that would simulate the cut. I had to place the line of the path inside the profile edges, and then the tool path process worked as expected.

I couldn't find anything in the forums or documentation that would explain my problem. So, I started looking at the sketch itself. This drawing is an evolution in my experience with FC, and I have no previous CAD/CAM experience.

Based on suggestions from the IRC, I used the sweep function to create a ring shaped solid (looks like a toilet seat). I attached the profile to the path with the outside edge of the profile directly on the path line.

When I created the Path job, and then the toolpaths, the outside face failed to create properly. It would create the operation, but the cycle time was 00:00.

I tried all the operation types and parameters for the operations and tool bits, but this did not resolve the problem. Some of the configurations ran for hours, so this process took about a week and a half to complete.

As an experiment, I set the inside edge on the path line. Now the inside face had a zero cycle time.

Since the problem seemed to follow the attachment point between the profile and the path line, I centered the path line inside the edges of the profile, and the paths created normally and the cut simulated as expected.

Thanks to macdriod53 and others for their suggestions that helped me solve this problem. Also, thanks to all of you who give of your time and yourselves to create a robust and powerful tool for others to use. You guys rock!