Enclosure Tutorial [Solved]

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frcaduser

Re: Enclosure Tutorial

Post by frcaduser »

Hi Everyone,

I am continuing with designing my pcb enclosure. I next want to create SNAP-ON features for my pcb enclosure. However, a lot of the forums that I am coming across are from roughly 4-5 years ago (2016-2017) when FC was still v0.16-0.17. From my continued reading, folks have commented on the many changes that have been implemented in FC since then. So I don't want to waste time with tutorials that will have no bearing with v0.19. Does anyone know of a link/forum/tutorial where these concepts are discussed/explained with v0.19?

Here is an article as an example. The title is "How to Design and 3D Print Snap-Fit Enclosures" by formlabs.

https://formlabs.com/blog/designing-3d- ... nclosures/

There is also this nice tutorial using Fusion 360 youtube video named:
Fusion 360 Snap Fit Cases | 3D-Printable Rasberry Pi Case

On a related note, I created a snippet (not final design but a file where I play around to converge on a feature) by where I am attempting to create a snap-on feature on a bottom enclosure. Is there a way to view a cross section of the enclosure as is done in the youtube video with freecad (Y-Z axis )? This would be helpful when attempting to design the snap-on features. I have attached my snippet to familiarize you with what I am dabbling in.

Thank you to anyone that can provide a lead.

One small update due to an observation:
-------------------------------------------------
It would be nice as a feature after creating the enclosure (right after the extrude and thickness steps) to be able to independently modify the thickness of each side wall. Two reasons are as follows:

1. I want to added thickness along the length of opposite sides/walls to support enclosure snap-on features.
2. I have two switches on the bottom of the enclosure. Making the enclosure thicker takes away from both of the switch levers available to the user. For example, both switch levers are 4 mm in height. If I increase the enclosure thickness from 1 mm (default) to 2 mm, well that is now 2 mm that I take away from the switch lever and only 2 mm available to the user.

As you can see, these are two competing interests at play here. Is this a feature that can be added if not present already? If present, can someone provide how to exploit this feature. I tried highlighting a side and changing the thickness but noticed that the change affects the entire enclosure.

Regards,

frcaduser
Attachments
bottomEnclosureSnapOnDabble.FCStd
(35.55 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by frcaduser on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

What exactly is a SNAP-ON feature?

Got a picture, link to an example?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The 0.17 workflow is basically the same as for current 0.19. We just have learned better how to avoid the topological naming problems. Furthermore, snap-ons and how to model them are two different pairs of shoes. You can learn how to model independently from what you model in the end. So you can use the old snap-ons and create them with current workflows.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
frcaduser

Post by frcaduser »

Hi everyone,

for those of you who have stumbled onto this thread, I have solved the issue on how to create varying enclosure wall widths. Instead of performing the usual creating the enclosure dimensions (LxH) and then performing "extrude" > "utility to apply thickness" in the Part workbench, you can create concentric rectangular ring pairs centered to the x-y axis. You vary the distance from the vertical sides to the y-axis with respect to the distance from the horizontal sides to the x-axis. Using this method, you can have different vertical vs. horizontal enclosure wall widths.

For additional mounting/alignment support, you can add a concentric rectangle but with lower height with respect to the inner concentric rectangle. Just remember that the inner dimensions of the added rectangle should equal the outer dimensions of the inner rectangle. Doing it this method for added flexibility comes at a cost however. Now you have to add a bottom plate/rectangle in the x-y axis plane separately and merge it with the enclosure perimeter. After you have created all of the material, assuming you are in the Part workbench, select/highlight all of the different pieces and hit the Fusion utility icon to merge all of the pieces into one piece. Don't forget to fillet all of the edges around the top perimeter for smooth mounting with the top enclosure.

Still on the agenda is how to solve the issue of adding the snap-fit features now that I have solved the issue of adding differing perimeter side thicknesses to the side enclosure walls in addition to adding alignment support via the outer rectangular ring with lower height.

I have added a pic to bring home the concept of what I am describing.

Regards,

frcaduser
Attachments
VaryingEnclosureWidths.png
VaryingEnclosureWidths.png (12.16 KiB) Viewed 334 times